The Student Room Group

concerned with subject choice suitability for cs

so i do physics maths and product design at a level and am predicted AA*A respectively. and am concerned if my uni choices will dislike the fact that i do product design and not some self-harm inducing subject like chem. current uni choices are
UCL
Sheffield
KCL (maybe)
Bath
Surrey
(Loughobrough if i dont choce KCL)
I am fit for the contextual offers for all of these unis.
Any advice? should i try include product design stuff in my personal statement to make it sound as its going to help me with cs?
It's fine, the only possible issue might be a lack of A-level Further Maths for UCL, although still worth applying. The others I don't anticipate would have any issues.

You don't need to mention any of your A-levels in your PS specifically and I wouldn't really suggest it - unis know how different subjects do or don't relate to the subject you're applying to, what they don't know is why you want to do that subject (and giving potted descriptions of your A-levels doesn't tell them that).
whilst this is very fair enough, ok. should i mention something like a "craftsman attitude" in my personal statement, since i do product design?
Original post by artful_lounger
It's fine, the only possible issue might be a lack of A-level Further Maths for UCL, although still worth applying. The others I don't anticipate would have any issues.

You don't need to mention any of your A-levels in your PS specifically and I wouldn't really suggest it - unis know how different subjects do or don't relate to the subject you're applying to, what they don't know is why you want to do that subject (and giving potted descriptions of your A-levels doesn't tell them that).
Original post by industrialized-e
whilst this is very fair enough, ok. should i mention something like a "craftsman attitude" in my personal statement, since i do product design?

No? I can't see how that is relevant to CS at all.

Just write about your interest in CS.
As above, you only needs Maths, beyond that unis don’t care about your subjects.

Don’t try and crowbar links to all your subjects and CS. Just write about your interest and suitability for it.
ok thanks a lot guys
Original post by industrialized-e
so i do physics maths and product design at a level and am predicted AA*A respectively. and am concerned if my uni choices will dislike the fact that i do product design and not some self-harm inducing subject like chem. current uni choices are
UCL
Sheffield
KCL (maybe)
Bath
Surrey
(Loughobrough if i dont choce KCL)
I am fit for the contextual offers for all of these unis.
Any advice? should i try include product design stuff in my personal statement to make it sound as its going to help me with cs?

Hi @industrialized-e

It's great to hear that you're considering applying to Loughborough!

You can find our entry requirements for our Computer Science course on our course page and also more details of what modules you would study. The only required subject for our course is Maths.

For the personal statement (as others have commented) it's important to show your passion for the subject and explain why you want to study Computer Science. This may involve using some of your A-level subjects if relevant but also any extra activities you have undertaken outside of your studies that show your interest in the subject. Here is a link to a blog post about writing the personal statement which you might find useful.

I hope this helped and if you have any questions just let us know :smile:

Jess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending