The Student Room Group

A-level choices

Hi! I am trying to choose my 4 A level subjects from maths, further maths, physics, biology, economics, and geography. I am definitely going to do maths and a science but I don't know which subjects would go together since I have no idea what degree I want to take and I want to keep as many options open as I can. a potential degree is engineering but tbh I don't know what that is like. should I take economics if I am not an essay-subject person? I heard it is a lot of essays and is it actually that interesting? is further maths hard - I am in top set maths and really enjoy it and I am taking further maths for gcse. I would really appreciate any responses.
It depends on what you are thinking and where you intend studying afterwards.

Basically FM would be needed fo a very small amount of universities for Maths and fewer still for things line Computer Science and Economics. Physics is required for many universities for some Engineering subjects. Economics is rarely a required subject for anything but might be useful for Economics. Biology would be useful for Health sciences and Geography would not be a required subject for anything.

If you want to take Engineering then Maths and Physics would be advisable. If you want to look at some health sciences Biology would be advisable but if your not interested in that line then Maths and Physics would cover you for things like CS, Economics, Maths, Engineering, Physics in most universities. The 3rd subject could be your choice in the subject you enjoy and will do well in. As far as FM speak to your you are suitab Maths teacher they can advise you on whether
are suitable. Think carefully about taking 4 subjects. Universities make offers on 3 and taking a 4th means spreading your time too thinly.
Original post by swanseajack1
It depends on what you are thinking and where you intend studying afterwards.

Basically FM would be needed fo a very small amount of universities for Maths and fewer still for things line Computer Science and Economics. Physics is required for many universities for some Engineering subjects. Economics is rarely a required subject for anything but might be useful for Economics. Biology would be useful for Health sciences and Geography would not be a required subject for anything.

If you want to take Engineering then Maths and Physics would be advisable. If you want to look at some health sciences Biology would be advisable but if your not interested in that line then Maths and Physics would cover you for things like CS, Economics, Maths, Engineering, Physics in most universities. The 3rd subject could be your choice in the subject you enjoy and will do well in. As far as FM speak to your you are suitab Maths teacher they can advise you on whether
are suitable. Think carefully about taking 4 subjects. Universities make offers on 3 and taking a 4th means spreading your time too thinly.

I agree
Reply 3
Look through the Uni course pages for related degrees and see what A level subjects they actually need.

If you are heading towards any sort of science or engineering degree, then FM is worth going, even if only to AS level, but aside from Maths/FM, doing 4 A levels is literally a waste of time. No Uni requires more than 3 A levels and remember that AAA will always look better than BBBB.

Liverpool - https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/courses/subjects
Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/undergraduate-subjects-2024/
Glasgow- https://www.gla.ac.uk/subjects/

Quick Reply

Latest