The Student Room Group

Want to drop out of university

I'm a 1st year cs student but did a foundation year last year (@southampton uni). I enjoyed some maths last year but really hate it now and finding it hard and boring and onlyI like my social and independeant life here. I have no Idea want I want to do. I might do some voluntary work at animal shelters and try vet clinics if I can. My a levels are A*AA in Biology,Chemistry and Physics. and looking back at a-levels, I definitely preferred the bio/chem side of things instead of maths. I don't know if I should drop out, but I just don't have any motivation for this and find it the most boring thing In the world, with the exception of some coding labs being fun.
Any advice will neb much appreciated it.
Original post by BFR25
I'm a 1st year cs student but did a foundation year last year (@southampton uni). I enjoyed some maths last year but really hate it now and finding it hard and boring and onlyI like my social and independeant life here. I have no Idea want I want to do. I might do some voluntary work at animal shelters and try vet clinics if I can. My a levels are A*AA in Biology,Chemistry and Physics. and looking back at a-levels, I definitely preferred the bio/chem side of things instead of maths. I don't know if I should drop out, but I just don't have any motivation for this and find it the most boring thing In the world, with the exception of some coding labs being fun.

With A*AA at A level, presumably you mean the entry requirements of some non-CS courses which might interest you. I'd suggest you look around at what other courses at Southampton might be of interest and the talk to your Personal Academic Tutor about the viability of a transfer to a different course. The process is outlined in the first paragraph of Transfer, Suspension, Withdrawal, and Termination 2023-24. I've highlighted they key step below.

"1. An undergraduate student may be allowed to transfer between programmes within the same Faculty (subject to agreement within the Faculty), or from one Faculty to another with the agreement of the Faculties concerned. Students seeking transfer must obtain from the Faculty in which they are now (or were last) enrolled a transfer form for their Personal Academic Tutor's approval and must return this to the same Faculty Office. Students who are sponsored by the University to enter the UK under the points-based visa system and who want to transfer programmes may face visa implications (see Regulations and Definitions Applying to Progression for all Credit-Bearing Programmes). Advice should be sought from the Visa & Immigration Student Advice Service."

Note that you need the agreement of the Faculty you've moving from and to.
Reply 2
Original post by BFR25

Just Carry on i would Say. Dropping out would be counter productive and would also be a waste of years of your Life! I think all the courses are more or less the same. You cant really expect to be doing something which Is 100% within your interests.

Once you are formally done with your studies, do whatever you enjoy. It doesnt have to be cs for Life.
Original post by j.1.2
Just Carry on i would Say. Dropping out would be counter productive and would also be a waste of years of your Life! I think all the courses are more or less the same. You cant really expect to be doing something which Is 100% within your interests.

Once you are formally done with your studies, do whatever you enjoy. It doesnt have to be cs for Life.

That’s terrible advice he’s in First year you don’t wan to be stuck doing something you hate for 3 years I’d suggest a transfer to something like Chem or Bio or something related to that as your still in the transfer window and your A level grades are so good it should be pretty straightforward.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jonathanemptage
That’s terrible advice he’s in First year you don’t wan to be stuck doing something you hate for 3 years I’d suggest a transfer to something like Chem or Bio or something related to that as your still in the transfer window and your A level grades are so good it should be pretty straightforward.

he did a foundation year before that, so there's 2 years of commitment already there
Original post by BFR25

How much flexibility did your foundation year give you for choosing your degree subject? Would you be able to switch to something like https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/environmental-science-degree-bsc the biodiversity and conservation pathway would normally give you lots of options for working with animals and the environment (or to progress on to something like https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/wildlife-conservation-masters-mres which is a joint degree with marwell zoo) or to go into a different environment related career completely.
The sooner you start the conversations about transferring the more likely it will be possible. Southampton won't want to lose you (and it sounds like you're happy with the university) and switching to a different university to restart elsewhere in 2024 will mean no tuition fee loan in yr 1 of a new course whereas you could even restart in yr 1 at southampton without any issue around funding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending