The Student Room Group

dropping out in second year

Hi all,
I'm currently in my first year of University at a Uni I worked really hard to get into. But I'm struggling, I've not made any friends so I'm quite lonely and my mental health has gone down a lot. I'm considering transferring universities to be closer to home or dropping out.
But at the same time, I'm anxious that I'll make the wrong decision and regret it later.
My question is, has anyone here dropped out late in first year/ second year? if so, what happened with your second-year housing? did you pay for the house even though you weren't using it? did you not bother applying to housing?
just in general what happened with it?
because if it weren't for the housing issues, I would maybe be inclined to keep trying university, but I really don't want to dig myself into a hole that I can't get out of in that regard,
thank You!
hey, i'm transferring universities in second year. if you listen to yourself, you'll know what's best. first, write down all the pros and cons of transferring university or dropping out. consider finances, repercussions, anything you need to sort out in order to successfully transfer. if you decide to transfer, contact all the unis you wish to transfer to so you can enquire if they are accepting transfers, as well as your current uni so they can offer you support with transferring. i promise they won't be offended! they just want to support and look out for you. have you spoke to your personal tutor yet? they will offer you information and advice, and will eventually help you with the process of transferring. try to look out for courses that are similar to your current course, especially ones with first year modules that are similar to ones that you took. this way, they'll be more likely to consider you. if you decide to drop out, first of all, don't feel like you're a failure, or stupid, or a letdown. because you're not. you're doing what you feel is best and the same goes for transferring! don't let anyone dominate your decision. this is your life, and only you can decide where it leads - to drop out, you contact your uni to request withdrawal from your studies. they'll get you a form to fill out so they can stop your student finance, course materials, account etc. then after that, have a think about what you'd like to do next: maybe an apprenticeship? or you could reapply for university next year to give it another go? or perhaps you could go straight into work? remember its up to you what you do next! i wish you the best of luck :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by abiigail11
Hi all,
I'm currently in my first year of University at a Uni I worked really hard to get into. But I'm struggling, I've not made any friends so I'm quite lonely and my mental health has gone down a lot. I'm considering transferring universities to be closer to home or dropping out.
But at the same time, I'm anxious that I'll make the wrong decision and regret it later.
My question is, has anyone here dropped out late in first year/ second year? if so, what happened with your second-year housing? did you pay for the house even though you weren't using it? did you not bother applying to housing?
because if it weren't for the housing issues, I would maybe be inclined to keep trying university, but I really don't want to dig myself into a hole that I can't get out of in that regard,
thank You!

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling. Have you considered making a pros and cons list for dropping out? This could help you decide if this is the best option for you. With regards to housing my understanding is that it is better to sort something out sooner rather than later but that many only require a deposit to secure the house so whilst you might loose out on that it is better than not having anywhere to live. I would speak to your tutors and perhaps the wellbeing support at your university so that they can help you make the right decision.

I hope this helps,
Eleanor F
Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I'm also in the same position as you, started second year and am struggling so much that my mental and physical health is getting worse. All I do is sleep outside of lectures now and the thought of my practical work makes me so stressed I feel sick.
I want to move to a course similar to mine but without having to interview people just using cameras (I'm a broadcast Journalism student)

I'm currently working out a drop out plan in case I choose not to back on things I could do or where I could apply to but I'm also so stuck.

The stress started over 3 weeks ago now and won't go it's so hard for me as a disabled student.
Hi all,
thank You!

@abiigail11

Definitely get support for your general wellbeing/ mental health as that should be your priority.

Sometimes people make friends with others straight away and sometimes it takes a lot of time, going to to different events, joining societies, asking people if they want to meet up for brunch or lunch, grabbing a coffee with a person after a lecture, making time to meet up on the weekend, taking the courage to phone someone to chat about work or emailing someone to ask if they want to meet up to study etc...

It's difficult because you have to be confident and pro-active, but when you are tired of doing this or not feeling so great about yourself in general it's more difficult to do this, so do reflect wisely about whether your are finding it difficult to talk people or not spending enough time with people, or maybe not presenting your best self because you are feeling nervous, shy or anxious around others.

What do you think is making it difficult to make friends? What are some practical steps you could take to overcome this?

It may be nice to be closer to home, but remember it will still be about making friends (unless you have friends who have stayed close to home). It may be easier as the new person or it may be more difficult, so do bear this in mind.

Are you enjoying your course?

It sounds like there are some people you might be considering sharing a house with for second year, so perhaps you can focus on getting to know them better. This might make you feel more at ease about university life.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by MeowMeowSuperCat
Hi there,

I'm also in the same position as you, started second year and am struggling so much that my mental and physical health is getting worse. All I do is sleep outside of lectures now and the thought of my practical work makes me so stressed I feel sick.
I want to move to a course similar to mine but without having to interview people just using cameras (I'm a broadcast Journalism student)

I'm currently working out a drop out plan in case I choose not to back on things I could do or where I could apply to but I'm also so stuck.

The stress started over 3 weeks ago now and won't go it's so hard for me as a disabled student.

Have you looked into your student handbook to see if it’s possible to switch courses at your current university?
Hi there,

I think alot of people struggle in their first year of uni. I am sorry that you are finding it really hard. You could try and make a list of reasons and chat through it with a lecturer.
You will know what is best for you. I think you could go and speak to someone at uni whether it is your personal tutor or someone at wellbeing to try and get some help.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Hi all,
thank You!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending