The Student Room Group

course change university

I am about to leave for university (uom) in september to study english literature but I want to change course as I've decided i would rather do geography. I believe that the geography course is full as it wasnt in clearing and a friend of mine working at the university also said they were full this year, but I'm determined to try and switch. Its the same entry requirements too. Is it worth emailing now, before I actually go to university? Or should I wait a few weeks until somebody has dropped out? I dont know what to do. Also please nobody tell me to take a gap year and rethink what I want to do. This is what i want to do. Thanks :smile: Any advice???
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by s140805
I am about to leave for university (uom) in september to study english literature but I want to change course as I've decided i would rather do geography. I believe that the geography course is full as it wasnt in clearing and a friend of mine working at the university also said they were full this year, but I'm determined to try and switch. Its the same entry requirements too. Is it worth emailing now, before I actually go to university? Or should I wait a few weeks until somebody has dropped out? I dont know what to do. Also please nobody tell me to take a gap year and rethink what I want to do. This is what i want to do. Thanks :smile: Any advice???

I think you should get on the ball straight away and e-mail because then you might be up for consideration if someone does drop out. Someone might slip in to take your place. Act now and you should avoid disappointment.
Reply 2
Original post by s140805
I am about to leave for university (uom) in september to study english literature but I want to change course as I've decided i would rather do geography. I believe that the geography course is full as it wasnt in clearing and a friend of mine working at the university also said they were full this year, but I'm determined to try and switch. Its the same entry requirements too. Is it worth emailing now, before I actually go to university? Or should I wait a few weeks until somebody has dropped out?

You can't make the assumption that (a) anyone will drop out, or (b) that even if someone does drop out that the course won't still be full. (Some courses do end up managing to over-recruit -- i.e. a course with 50 places might end up with more than 50 students on it.)

It's best not to start a course that you don't want to do. Certainly you can ask to transfer, but you have to accept that the answer might be "no" -- and you need to have a 'plan B' for what you'll do if the answer is "no".

So I would ask now if you can transfer, and ask to be put on a waiting list if they say "no". But ultimately you need to accept that you might not get a place to do geography this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending