The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

fine art without foundation

hi! can I still do a fine art degree without a foundation year? I've had to take a random gap year so I don't want to pay for a foundation year next year, and would much rather go straight into a degree! What (good) unis in England/Wales don't want a foundation year? Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
hi! can I still do a fine art degree without a foundation year? I've had to take a random gap year so I don't want to pay for a foundation year next year, and would much rather go straight into a degree! What (good) unis in England/Wales don't want a foundation year? Thanks!

Most universities don’t require a FAD (Only goldsmiths still insist on a FAD as far as I remember). However they will usually require a portfolio and your portfolio will be compared against other applicants who do have a FAD.

What are your priorities in a university/study environment?
what media do you prefer to work in?
have you visited any universities? Have any that you definitely do or don’t want to apply to?
(edited 6 months ago)
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Most universities don’t require a FAD (Only goldsmiths still insist on a FAD as far as I remember). However they will usually require a portfolio and your portfolio will be compared against other applicants who do have a FAD.

What are your priorities in a university/study environment?
what media do you prefer to work in?
have you visited any universities? Have any that you definitely do or don’t want to apply to?

Thank you. As I'm on a gap year I have a bit more time to prepare a portfolio thankfully. I don't want to study in London, but I will go anywhere else as long as its not a 4 year degree :smile: I like to experiment with many different mediums but I do mostly enjoy acrylic painting and graphite/charcoal drawing. I visited some universities last year but not for fine art, and I do much prefer a campus university but that's not a 'make or break' so to speak.

I was just worried that I would be rejected without a chance to submit my portfolio as it feels as if universities prioritise their foundation applicants more than 'straight from a-level', and the fact that I'm taking a gap year without taking up a foundation year feels as if I'm less of a strong applicant from first glance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending