The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Kingston or UAL Chelsea??

I'm applying for the foundation course and major in Fine art. Which one is better? Can't decide because UAL's hype is all over the internet. Honest opinions please
Original post by Anonymous
I'm applying for the foundation course and major in Fine art. Which one is better? Can't decide because UAL's hype is all over the internet. Honest opinions please

Have you applied and got offers for both? (through UCAS for the BAs and direct for the FAD courses)

Have you visited both?
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Hello,
It's fantastic that you're considering UAL for your first steps into studying art. UAL has indeed gained a well-deserved reputation in the art world, and there are several reasons why it stands out:

Creative Hub: UAL is situated in the heart of London, a global hub for creativity and innovation. The city itself becomes an extension of the classroom, offering endless inspiration and opportunities for artistic exploration.

Distinguished Faculty: The faculty at UAL comprises accomplished artists, designers, and industry professionals who are passionate about nurturing the next generation of creative minds. Their expertise and guidance contribute significantly to the learning experience.

Exhibition and Showcase Opportunities: UAL provides numerous platforms for students to showcase their work, fostering a culture of visibility and recognition. This exposure is invaluable for emerging artists looking to make their mark in the art community.

Interdisciplinary Approach: UAL encourages an interdisciplinary approach to art, allowing students to collaborate across different disciplines. This approach broadens perspectives and opens up new avenues for creative expression.

Supportive Community: The sense of community at UAL is truly special. You'll find yourself surrounded by like-minded individuals who are passionate about art. This supportive environment fosters collaboration, idea exchange, and personal growth.

Adaptability and Innovation: The art world is constantly evolving, and UAL is at the forefront of embracing change. The curriculum is designed to equip students with the skills and mindset needed to navigate the ever-changing landscape of contemporary art.

Global Recognition: UAL is globally renowned for its contributions to the arts. Its reputation extends beyond the classroom, with a network of alumni who have made significant impacts in the art world.

State-of-the-Art Facilities: UAL provides top-notch facilities and resources, ensuring that students have access to the latest tools and technologies to bring their artistic visions to life.

Industry Connections: UAL's strong ties with the creative industry open doors for students, providing valuable opportunities for internships, collaborations, and exposure to real-world artistic practices.

Remember, the right university choice is a personal one, and I encourage you to delve deeper into UAL's offerings, perhaps attend events or connect with current students to get a feel for the unique atmosphere.

I would recommend looking at the graduate showcase to gain a better insight into the work being produced by current fine arts students Graduate]https://graduateshowcase.arts.ac.uk/projects?_q=fine%20art]Graduate Showcase Fine Arts

Whichever path you choose, I wish you a fulfilling and successful artistic journey ahead!

Hope this helps,

Teju,
UAL Ambassador
(edited 4 months ago)

UAL has a rep for being a toxic and competitive and negative environment as well as being hyped up for the reputation. If you don’t think that you will thrive in a competitive environment then avoid!

Kingston is very rough. Have you looked outside London?
Original post by PQ
Have you applied and got offers for both? (through UCAS for the BAs and direct for the FAD courses)

Have you visited both?

i got an offer from Kingston. Unfortunately I can’t visit them cus im an international student living in east asia
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #2
UAL has a rep for being a toxic and competitive and negative environment as well as being hyped up for the reputation. If you don’t think that you will thrive in a competitive environment then avoid!

Kingston is very rough. Have you looked outside London?

i am an international student!! I’ve never been to London before ☹️ That’s why im asking people if it’s worth it
i am an international student!! I’ve never been to London before ☹️ That’s why im asking people if it’s worth it

What are your other choices? London isn't the only place to study in the UK :biggrin:

What sort of city do you live in at the moment?
Hi!

It's great to see Kingston University is one of your options for Foundation and Fine Art! I'm currently a second-year Fine Art and Art History student here at KU, and if you have any questions about the course or Kingston School of Art as a whole, I'd be more than happy to answer them. 🙂

Eve.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
What are your other choices? London isn't the only place to study in the UK :biggrin:

What sort of city do you live in at the moment?

I have applyed to Nottingham Trent University too…also considering Goldsmith but I don’t think I will apply to GS. Im living in Seoul in SK 🙂
Original post by rosieonpearls
I’ve got a pre offer letter from Kingston University! May I ask you if it’s worth it?

Hi @rosieonpearls!

Personally, I definitely find that the course is worth it - although I admit I'm a little biased! 🙂 I think the level of support you receive from teaching staff (all of whom have their own professional art practices) mixed with KSA's updated workshop facilities and genuine dedication to improving the course year on year undoubtedly make it worth it. Furthemore, Kingston-upon-Thames is just a genuinely nice place to live without the central London cost. There's a bustling town centre with lots of restaurants and supermarkets, whilst simultaneously having access to gigantic nearby green spaces and parks: our neighbouring borough Richmond-upon-Thames was even voted the happiest place to live in the UK a few days ago.

I moved over from Northern Ireland to come to Kingston and now plan to stay in the area after graduation, so it left a big impact on me.

Eve (Kingston Rep).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending