The Student Room Group

Why I Chose To Study Fine Art AND Art History

Choosing to study art is hard.

For lots of courses, even before applying, you’re already feeling the pressure to somehow scrape together an ‘amazing’ portfolio in an unbelievably short period of time. Peers, teachers and sometimes family members can question your decision right, left and centre, and despite extremely low acceptance rates, every rejection can feel like a bit of a personal slight.

I came from a relatively small A-Level Art and Design class (six people, including me), so you can imagine that trying out the different fields within the subject wasn’t a gigantic priority at my school.

I also didn’t do a Foundation Year primarily because I was from Northern Ireland, and despite being a home applicant, wouldn’t qualify for the reduced/no tuition that students elsewhere in the UK would. Instead, I would be coming straight off of A-Levels and into an art degree; and as anyone who’s either applied or looking into applying to art school knows, there are a lot of different types of art degrees.

However, I do think Fine Art had always been the first that sprung into my head. I liked being able to switch between disciplines, whether that was painting, sculpture or ceramics, and create art that wasn’t solely for commercial use (whilst design does fascinate me, I’m not sure how practical any of my work would be!). Whilst I’d always had a soft spot for illustration, I knew I could use those skills in a Fine Art degree as well so, really, it seemed the most open of all the options.

The Art History side was a bit of an afterthought. Whilst I had studied History of Art A-Level, I was determined that I actually wanted to make art, and was initially content with just the art history module included in most Fine Art courses. However, when I began researching courses, I realised a few universities (Kingston, Goldsmiths, MMU, Leeds, Reading and Aberystwyth) offered a joint BA degree, which I thought could open up a lot more possibilities for me in the future if I ever wanted to get into the curation/gallery aspect of the art world whilst also allowing me to keep creating and making.

Ultimately, like many other art students, I gravitated towards London, and from there, Kingston due to the facilities and tutor ratios. I’ll be going into my second year this autumn, and whilst I’m enjoying the nice summer weather, I am definitely looking forward to getting back into the workshops.

How did you guys choose which field of art to go into? Do you think a Foundation year helped you a lot?

- Eve (Kingston Rep).
Reply 1
Choosing a field of art can indeed be challenging, and the pressure to create an impressive portfolio can add to the stress. It's common for peers, teachers, and family members to question your decision, but it's important to follow your passion and pursue what truly interests you.

Not having the opportunity to explore different art fields extensively in school is a common experience, but it doesn't mean you can't discover your preferred path later on. Many art students enter their degree programs with a general interest in art and gradually find their niche as they explore different disciplines and mediums.

While a Foundation Year can be beneficial for some students, providing an opportunity to explore various art disciplines and build a stronger portfolio, it is not a prerequisite for success in the field. Many students enter art degrees without a Foundation Year and still thrive in their chosen area.

Choosing a field of art is a personal decision that depends on your interests, strengths, and goals. It's great that you found Fine Art to be the most appealing option for you, allowing you to switch between different disciplines and create art for its own sake. Integrating your illustration skills into a Fine Art degree offers versatility and widens your creative possibilities.

Considering the Art History aspect as well shows that you're open to exploring different facets of the art world. The joint BA degree you mentioned could provide you with a broader understanding of art, enabling you to potentially explore curation and gallery work in the future.

Choosing a university based on facilities and tutor ratios is a practical consideration, as it can greatly impact your learning experience and access to resources.

Every artist's journey is unique, and there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Some artists have a clear vision from the start, while others discover their path along the way. It's essential to keep experimenting, learning, and reflecting on your own artistic journey.

If you're still unsure about your chosen field of art, you can continue exploring different mediums, techniques, and disciplines through personal projects or workshops. You might discover new interests and strengths that can guide your future artistic direction.

Remember, the artistic journey is about growth and self-discovery, so embrace the process and allow yourself the freedom to explore and evolve as an artist. Best of luck with your second year at Kingston, and enjoy your time in the workshops!

Quick Reply

Latest