The Student Room Group

Building experience in graphic design

I am 17 now and I don’t have a lot of experience in graphic design to put on my personal statement. I have only done a work experience course on Springpod for graphic design but I don’t know what I else I can do to get more higher level experience for graphic design to add to my application. Does anyone have any suggestions?? It would really help, thank you.
(edited 6 months ago)
Firstly, you don't need experience to put in your personal statement. Personal statements really aren't important for the majority of courses. It's all about the quality of work in your portfolio.

If you do want to get work experience for your own benefit, rather than to tell people you have experience, there are options. Just approach local design or marketing companies and ask. Ideally pop in and see them, or phone them (where they will able to see what you're like as a person) and just ask if you can come in and do some work experience. Most will say no, but you never know. Also, friends and family might know firms with design departments. If you know a bit of Photoshop, you might be able to do some real work.

You could also do some work for friends and relatives. Business cards, gig posters, social media content etc. Any experience dealing with real design problems is good.

Quick Reply

Latest