The Student Room Group

UAL London College of Fashion or Leeds Arts University for Fashion Design?

Hello,
I have recently been accepted to Leeds arts University for BA Fashion Design, and to UAL (LCF) for the Foundation course in Fashion.
As an international student (south Asian) who’s never lived anywhere near UK or Europe, I am pretty clueless about the university life out there, and hence I was really confused as to what to do. I would love to get some advices from anyone here!
Although UAL has always been on the first of my list, but I would also love to go to Leeds. But the thing is, I’m not sure if I should go to UAL as it would take an extra year for Foundation, and since I’ve directly gotten into the BA course in Leeds, I was wondering if UAL would be worth it especially since the international fees is really high here as compared to Leeds ( I would be paying almost double in ual for my whole course) and there aren’t any scholarships available either.
I know that UAL is one of the world’s best art university, but is it best suited for me, since I have no experience or idea yet and I’ve heard that it’s not that structured out here and since it’s quite huge, we have to figure things out ourselves. I know that here I would get a lot of exposure required for the field and also it’s in London, but LAU isn’t, and London is definitely the best place for art students. But as a beginner, I would really prefer to get guidance for my first few years. Hence, I’m really confused.

If anyone has time, any insights would be really helpful and appreciated! Thanks

Scroll to see replies

LCF isn’t that great. And with their move of campus it’s likely to be chaos for the next few years. They don’t attend graduate fashion week and don’t attract the fashion industry to their own shows like CSM.

LAU is a good university. Are these your only 2 UCAS choices?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
LCF isn’t that great. And with their move of campus it’s likely to be chaos for the next few years. They don’t attend graduate fashion week and don’t attract the fashion industry to their own shows like CSM.

That’s really helpful! Thank you for replying, also, do you know how the foundation course is at CSM? Or the differences between LCF and CSM? I wasn’t sure if I should apply there since it’s not completely fashion, but again the situation would also be similar to lcf due to the extra year and money… I’m confused haha.

Ahh no I did apply to Loughborough but they told me for a foundation, later it didn’t seem appealing to me anymore and also Westminster, they told me I’m too young for BA (I’ll be 18 soon)
Original post by Dreamyyyy
Hello,
I have recently been accepted to Leeds arts University for BA Fashion Design, and to UAL (LCF) for the Foundation course in Fashion.
As an international student (south Asian) who’s never lived anywhere near UK or Europe, I am pretty clueless about the university life out there, and hence I was really confused as to what to do. I would love to get some advices from anyone here!
Although UAL has always been on the first of my list, but I would also love to go to Leeds. But the thing is, I’m not sure if I should go to UAL as it would take an extra year for Foundation, and since I’ve directly gotten into the BA course in Leeds, I was wondering if UAL would be worth it especially since the international fees is really high here as compared to Leeds ( I would be paying almost double in ual for my whole course) and there aren’t any scholarships available either.
I know that UAL is one of the world’s best art university, but is it best suited for me, since I have no experience or idea yet and I’ve heard that it’s not that structured out here and since it’s quite huge, we have to figure things out ourselves. I know that here I would get a lot of exposure required for the field and also it’s in London, but LAU isn’t, and London is definitely the best place for art students. But as a beginner, I would really prefer to get guidance for my first few years. Hence, I’m really confused.

If anyone has time, any insights would be really helpful and appreciated! Thanks

Hey @Dreamyyyy ,

Congratulations on getting an offer from LCF!

As a fellow South Asian I can say that student life in London is incredible. I am at a master's level but I know that at a foundation/undergraduate level it's even better. You get to meet people from such diverse backgrounds, cultures and interests. It just changes your perspective and understanding of the world a lot. Moreover, it has an impact on your creative process and practice.
I do have to say London is a great place to be if you are in the arts or creative spaces. I moved here in 2022 from India and it has definitely had an impact on me which I think is only possible in London. It has ample opportunities and is just a hub for everything creative. Not just the businesses but the people here are very inspirational.

Coming to the dilemma between doing a foundation or jumping straight to a BA, I understand it can be tricky considering time and financial factors.
I personally feel, with fashion being such a vast field, having a foundational year to understand your interests, strengths, natural flair and creative language can be very helpful in the longer run. Trust me, joining a bachelor's and then realising that this isn't what you wanted is not a fun experience ha ha. A foundational year gives you space to experiment, interact, explore and just understand yourself you know. If you gain some confidence here, then your overall career trajectory can become a lot easier. You will be so much more aware and confident going into your Bachelor's then.

Saying that, I completely understand the financial aspect that comes with being an international student. I would definitely recommend applying for scholarships offered by UAL and also by your home country for some ease. UAL Scholarships

Also to clarify, all pre-degree courses have moved to the Lime Grove campus and there are none at the CSM campus.

I hope this helps a little in the decision making. Please do reach out with any more questions, would love to help out!

Best,
Teju
Reply 4
Original post by University of the Arts London Student Reps
Hello,

Hey @Dreamyyyy ,

As a fellow South Asian I can say that student life in London is incredible. I am at a master's level but I know that at a foundation/undergraduate level it's even better. You get to meet people from such diverse backgrounds, cultures and interests. It just changes your perspective and understanding of the world a lot. Moreover, it has an impact on your creative process and practice.
I do have to say London is a great place to be if you are in the arts or creative spaces. I moved here in 2022 from India and it has definitely had an impact on me which I think is only possible in London. It has ample opportunities and is just a hub for everything creative. Not just the businesses but the people here are very inspirational.

Coming to the dilemma between doing a foundation or jumping straight to a BA, I understand it can be tricky considering time and financial factors.
I personally feel, with fashion being such a vast field, having a foundational year to understand your interests, strengths, natural flair and creative language can be very helpful in the longer run. Trust me, joining a bachelor's and then realising that this isn't what you wanted is not a fun experience ha ha. A foundational year gives you space to experiment, interact, explore and just understand yourself you know. If you gain some confidence here, then your overall career trajectory can become a lot easier. You will be so much more aware and confident going into your Bachelor's then.

Saying that, I completely understand the financial aspect that comes with being an international student. I would definitely recommend applying for scholarships offered by UAL and also by your home country for some ease. UAL Scholarships

Also to clarify, all pre-degree courses have moved to the Lime Grove campus and there are none at the CSM campus.

I hope this helps a little in the decision making. Please do reach out with any more questions, would love to help out!

Best,
Teju

Hello, thankyou for replying here, as these advices are REALLY helpful!
Wow, London is definitely a dream for creative students! And this really excites me. Definitely, the amount of exposure in London is unmatched.
I’m from India too! Honestly it’s great to hear the advice from someone of the same country! Exactly, it’s really confusing! I definitely think that the Foundation year would be really helpful since I haven’t gotten any exposure to the field or another country at that, reading your advice does make me think that foundation year would be worth it. Although, all these scholarships here for foundation are only available for home students & I also couldn’t find any undergraduate scholarships :frown:
Also I just wanted to ask, did you do your foundation & BA from UAL too, or are you doing your MA here? And did u avail any scholarships here? Because I think your advices would really help me.
Hey @Dreamyyyy ,

Best,
Teju

Wow, London is definitely a dream for creative students! And this really excites me. Definitely, the amount of exposure in London is unmatched.
I’m from India too! Honestly it’s great to hear the advice from someone of the same country! Exactly, it’s really confusing! I definitely think that the Foundation year would be really helpful since I haven’t gotten any exposure to the field or another country at that, reading your advice does make me think that foundation year would be worth it. Although, all these scholarships here for foundation are only available for home students & I also couldn’t find any undergraduate scholarships :frown:
Also I just wanted to ask, did you do your foundation & BA from UAL too, or are you doing your MA here? And did u avail any scholarships here? Because I think your advices would really help me.
Hey @Dreamyyyy ,

I'm glad I was able to help you out and ease the confusion.

I did not do my foundation or undergrad from UAL, I did a four years undergrad in fashion technology in Delhi, India. After graduating I started working as a product developer. As I started working I realised I can't do this forever and wanted to learn more about sustainability. Hence, I applied to UAL because I couldn't find any dedicated courses in India. Once I started studying here I realised how different the style of teaching and approaching creative practices is. I've said this before, but I personally feel that if I had done my bachelor's outside of India, I might not have needed to do a master, atleast so soon. So yes, that's about me.

Scholarships of course can be tricky. This might help
Pre-Degree intl scholarship
Scolarship search - you could hunt for relevant scholarships on this page.
I would also recommend looking at scholarships in India that support international study.

I personally didn't get any scholarships but a couple of my classmates did.

Please do reach with any more questions that you might have, more than happy to help you out!

Best,
Teju
Reply 6
Hey @Dreamyyyy ,

Best,
Teju

Hey @Dreamyyyy ,

I did not do my foundation or undergrad from UAL, I did a four years undergrad in fashion technology in Delhi, India. After graduating I started working as a product developer. As I started working I realised I can't do this forever and wanted to learn more about sustainability. Hence, I applied to UAL because I couldn't find any dedicated courses in India. Once I started studying here I realised how different the style of teaching and approaching creative practices is. I've said this before, but I personally feel that if I had done my bachelor's outside of India, I might not have needed to do a master, atleast so soon. So yes, that's about me.

I would also recommend looking at scholarships in India that support international study.

Please do reach with any more questions that you might have, more than happy to help you out!

Best,
Teju

Hello again! Ahh I see! Well that’s fine since you got to experience the differences in both places :smile:!

I’ve been trying to find scholarships here for quite a while but I didn’t come across this one! This might be a great help..!! And yes, I did consider that too.
Do you mind asking me about the accommodations? Like how it was applying to them, and whether you recommend a private one or the ones from uni??
Also, what are the main differences between life at London as compared to India? Thankyou! :wink:

Hey @Dreamyyyy ,

Best,
Teju

Hello again! Ahh I see! Well that’s fine since you got to experience the differences in both places :smile:!

I’ve been trying to find scholarships here for quite a while but I didn’t come across this one! This might be a great help..!! And yes, I did consider that too.
Do you mind asking me about the accommodations? Like how it was applying to them, and whether you recommend a private one or the ones from uni??
Also, what are the main differences between life at London as compared to India? Thankyou! :wink:
Hi @Dreamyyyy

I'm glad to be able to help.

As for accommodations, for a pre-degree /undergraduate level I would highly recommend going in for a University Hall. There are multiple benefits to it; it'll be super easy to make friends, you'll settle into the new country a lot quicker, most uni accommodations are very close to the campus which make them convenient, you'll save money in things like maintenance etc.

I personally couldn't get a uni hall because I applied really late and I was at a master's level so the preference differs but for you I would definitely recommend applying for University Halls.

Ha ha about the differences in life in London and India, that's just so subjective. It depends a lot on where you live in India and of course age and what you have been doing so far.

I can tell you from my point of view, I thoroughly enjoyed student life here. I loved making friends from all over the world, getting to know people, their cultures and also understanding differences from an academic point of view. it really opened up my mind looking at how differently everyone approached any task at hand or even group projects.
Outside of university, exploring London together is a great experience anyway. On top of that, incase you are interning or working anywhere part-time, I personally think it's a great add-on as an international student.

Let me know if there any particular differences that you'd like me to discuss more about! I'm sure I've missed a lot of things here.

Best,
Tejaswini
Original post by PQ

Hi there,

Just thought I would jump on here! The new LCF campus is great and we are already getting really strong feedback from students and staff about the building, location and facilities. Don't just take my word for it though, you can read more about it in this article by the Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2024/feb/19/shades-of-grey-london-college-of-fashion-harry-potter.

Whilst CSM is also an incredible institution, LCF is a powerhouse of creativity and innovation, as can be seen by the College's recent presence throughout London Fashion Week. Follow this link to find out about recent LCF activity during Fashion Week - https://www.arts.ac.uk/colleges/london-college-of-fashion/stories/celebrating-lcf-postgraduate-2024-at-east-bank-during-london-fashion-week

All the best,
Georgia
Original post by University of the Arts London
Hi there,

Just thought I would jump on here! The new LCF campus is great and we are already getting really strong feedback from students and staff about the building, location and facilities. Don't just take my word for it though, you can read more about it in this article by the Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2024/feb/19/shades-of-grey-london-college-of-fashion-harry-potter.

Whilst CSM is also an incredible institution, LCF is a powerhouse of creativity and innovation, as can be seen by the College's recent presence throughout London Fashion Week. Follow this link to find out about recent LCF activity during Fashion Week - https://www.arts.ac.uk/colleges/london-college-of-fashion/stories/celebrating-lcf-postgraduate-2024-at-east-bank-during-london-fashion-week

All the best,
Georgia

If you say so. The number of job adverts I’ve seen on jobs.ac.uk seems like the move has been quite disruptive. I’m sure the new site and buildings will work out great in the long run.

And you accept that LCF has no presence at Graduate Fashion Week?
Reply 10

Hey @Dreamyyyy ,

Best,
Teju

Hi @Dreamyyyy

I'm glad to be able to help.

As for accommodations, for a pre-degree /undergraduate level I would highly recommend going in for a University Hall. There are multiple benefits to it; it'll be super easy to make friends, you'll settle into the new country a lot quicker, most uni accommodations are very close to the campus which make them convenient, you'll save money in things like maintenance etc.

I personally couldn't get a uni hall because I applied really late and I was at a master's level so the preference differs but for you I would definitely recommend applying for University Halls.

Ha ha about the differences in life in London and India, that's just so subjective. It depends a lot on where you live in India and of course age and what you have been doing so far.

I can tell you from my point of view, I thoroughly enjoyed student life here. I loved making friends from all over the world, getting to know people, their cultures and also understanding differences from an academic point of view. it really opened up my mind looking at how differently everyone approached any task at hand or even group projects.
Outside of university, exploring London together is a great experience anyway. On top of that, incase you are interning or working anywhere part-time, I personally think it's a great add-on as an international student.

Let me know if there any particular differences that you'd like me to discuss more about! I'm sure I've missed a lot of things here.

Best,
Tejaswini

Oh hey, got it! I totally get where you're coming from, and I agree. I personally would also go for university halls for the same reasons. By the way, when did you submit your application for accommodations? I don't want to leave it too late, hehe! There are so many halls to choose from, it's a bit overwhelming, you know?

Absolutely! Every state in India has its own unique vibe, so it really depends on personal preferences. I should have remembered that, I suppose.
Although there are literally so many things I could think of I’m still clueless as to what exactly I should ask honestly. I’m really excited to experience this exposure and change in perspective, so much!
But I suppose what overwhelms me the most is living alone, and well doing everything on my own since I’ve never done that of course, but what are the things that are usually most unexpected when you first start living on your own? I know this too can be quite subjective, but I’d love to hear your viewpoint on it!! :-)
Reply 11
Original post by PQ

Hi there,

All the best,
Georgia

Hey there!
I'm really curious about the distinctions between CSM and LCF you know, like how they teach, what their campuses are like, and especially what opportunities they offer for placements afterward. Any insights? Thanks a bunch!
Hi there,

All the best,
Georgia

Hey there!
I'm really curious about the distinctions between CSM and LCF you know, like how they teach, what their campuses are like, and especially what opportunities they offer for placements afterward. Any insights? Thanks a bunch!Hi @Dreamyyyy

CSM and LCF are both great! Your experience will depend as much on the course you decide to study as the College. In terms of placement both College's have great connections within the Creative/Art/Fashion industry and beyond, which will permeate your student life and studies. To be honest, i'm not sure about specific placements as this isn't my area but you could reach out to the colleges to ask about this - they would be happy to advise!

However, I do know that students at both colleges benefit from professional and social connections made on their courses and through attending additional activities, clubs and societies. Also... UAL students are able to attend talks, guest lectures and events across the different colleges throughout their time which provides yet another opportunity to form connections which could lead you to all sorts of opportunity.

I hope this helps!
Best,
Georgia
Hello,

Defo go to UAL!!
Reply 14
Hi there,

All the best,
Georgia

Hey there!
I'm really curious about the distinctions between CSM and LCF you know, like how they teach, what their campuses are like, and especially what opportunities they offer for placements afterward. Any insights? Thanks a bunch!
Hi @Dreamyyyy

CSM and LCF are both great! Your experience will depend as much on the course you decide to study as the College. In terms of placement both College's have great connections within the Creative/Art/Fashion industry and beyond, which will permeate your student life and studies. To be honest, i'm not sure about specific placements as this isn't my area but you could reach out to the colleges to ask about this - they would be happy to advise!

However, I do know that students at both colleges benefit from professional and social connections made on their courses and through attending additional activities, clubs and societies. Also... UAL students are able to attend talks, guest lectures and events across the different colleges throughout their time which provides yet another opportunity to form connections which could lead you to all sorts of opportunity.

I hope this helps!
Best,
Georgia

Hi there! 🌟
Thanks for the insight, that was really helpful! :smile:
Hello,

Hi, :smile:

Congratulations on your offers, it’s great to hear that you have applied with us. Our BA (Hons) Fashion Design is a fantastic course that allows you to discover your own design aesthetic and showcase your individual energy and talents. A bonus of starting at degree level is that you will immediately benefit as a result of our connections with the fashion industry resulting in inspirational visiting speakers, live projects and industry visits.

Leeds is a great city to study in and is very popular with international students due to its large welcoming community (as someone of South Asian origin I can attest to this) :yes:. We have over 60 different nationalities of students studying with us and warmly welcome new international students.

Our International team are there to support you every step of the way and you can contact them with any queries at [email protected]. As well if you are in the UK and would like to see the university and the city beforehand they can arrange a tour for you.

Our campus is based next to the city centre, so you have a range of great cafes, shops, green spaces and galleries at your doorstep. The Sunday Times has recently named Leeds as the best place to live in the north. I have enclosed a link below with some of our must-visit places:

https://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/life-in-leeds

On your offer email you will have been sent a link to our Unibuddy Community platform to chat with other offer holders. We have a group chat specifically for international students. It’s a good way to connect with people and ask any questions.

You can also chat with one of our current BA (Hons) Fashion Design students if you have any questions about the course or studying in Leeds.

https://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/chat-to-a-student

If you have any more questions please let me know. :smile:

Leeds Arts University Rep!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 16
Original post by LeedsArtUniRep
Hi, :smile:
Congratulations on your offers, it’s great to hear that you have applied with us. Our BA (Hons) Fashion Design is a fantastic course that allows you to discover your own design aesthetic and showcase your individual energy and talents. A bonus of starting at degree level is that you will immediately benefit as a result of our connections with the fashion industry resulting in inspirational visiting speakers, live projects and industry visits.
Leeds is a great city to study in and is very popular with international students due to its large welcoming community (as someone of South Asian origin I can attest to this) :yes:. We have over 60 different nationalities of students studying with us and warmly welcome new international students.
Our International team are there to support you every step of the way and you can contact them with any queries at [email protected]. As well if you are in the UK and would like to see the university and the city beforehand they can arrange a tour for you.
Our campus is based next to the city centre, so you have a range of great cafes, shops, green spaces and galleries at your doorstep. The Sunday Times has recently named Leeds as the best place to live in the north. I have enclosed a link below with some of our must-visit places:
On your offer email you will have been sent a link to our Unibuddy Community platform to chat with other offer holders. We have a group chat specifically for international students. It’s a good way to connect with people and ask any questions.
You can also chat with one of our current BA (Hons) Fashion Design students if you have any questions about the course or studying in Leeds.
https://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/chat-to-a-student
If you have any more questions please let me know. :smile:
Leeds Arts University Rep!

Hello! Thanks for replying here! I’m still confused but indeed i’m falling in love with lau the more I research about it… could I ask you about accommodations? Like application process, pros and cons, etc, if you don’t mind? Thankyou!
Hello! Thanks for replying here! I’m still confused but indeed i’m falling in love with lau the more I research about it… could I ask you about accommodations? Like application process, pros and cons, etc, if you don’t mind? Thankyou!

Hi 😀,

Thank you for your reply. At Leeds Arts University we have two main accommodation providers, Carr Mills and The Leather Works, both within walking distance of our Blenheim Walk site. We have information about each accommodation and the application process on the links below:

https://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/life-in-leeds/carr-mills-accommodation

https://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/life-in-leeds/the-leather-works-accommodation

There is a virtual tour of each accommodation which can help you see which one suits you best. If you have any more questions let me know.😊

Leeds Arts University Rep
How do you know you are doing the LCF foundation course? Because I think this is the first year that they are merging it and removing the schools (CSM foundation vs LCF foundation) to instead have singular UAL Foundation diploma
Reply 19
Original post by LeedsArtUniRep
Hi 😀,
Thank you for your reply. At Leeds Arts University we have two main accommodation providers, Carr Mills and The Leather Works, both within walking distance of our Blenheim Walk site. We have information about each accommodation and the application process on the links below:
https://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/life-in-leeds/carr-mills-accommodation
https://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/life-in-leeds/the-leather-works-accommodation
There is a virtual tour of each accommodation which can help you see which one suits you best. If you have any more questions let me know.😊
Leeds Arts University Rep

Hello! Thank you so much for replying! If I have any questions, I’ll let you know, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest