The Student Room Group

Glasgow School of Art Offer Holders 2024

Hi everyone, I thought I’d make this thread as people have been starting to receive their offers - if you have congrats! If you’re planning on starting in September I thought it would be nice to get to know a few people or discuss accommodation, courses, location etc.

I guess I’ll start off - I’m hopefully studying Interaction Design in September, and am currently doing A levels. Really excited to move to Glasgow and I’m thinking of going to Margaret Macdonalds accom but i don’t know much else about it yet!

(I couldn’t find a thread like this that exists yet so I thought I’d make one! Let me know if there already is one that I’ve missed though.)

Reply below about what course you’ll be studying, what you’re currently doing, accommodation, if you’re going to any open days or if you’ve been, etc.
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinkapoppy
Hi everyone, I thought I’d make this thread as people have been starting to receive their offers - if you have congrats! If you’re planning on starting in September I thought it would be nice to get to know a few people or discuss accommodation, courses, location etc.

I guess I’ll start off - I’m hopefully studying Interaction Design in September, and am currently doing A levels. Really excited to move to Glasgow and I’m thinking of going to Margaret Macdonalds accom but i don’t know much else about it yet!

(I couldn’t find a thread like this that exists yet so I thought I’d make one! Let me know if there already is one that I’ve missed though.)

Reply below about what course you’ll be studying, what you’re currently doing, accommodation, if you’re going to any open days or if you’ve been, etc.

I've moved the thread to the Art & Design forum to help you get replies. :smile:

hey im also holding an offer, do u have insta?:smile:

Hi! I've got an offer from GSA to study Painting and Printmaking, but having some difficulty deciding between schools- I also have offers from Newcastle and Edinburgh! I was wondering, what made you decide Glasgow as your first choice? It's really hard to find info online and I'm going to visit soon but would love to hear any opinions I can! Thank youu :biggrin:
Original post by BlueArtist
Hi! I've got an offer from GSA to study Painting and Printmaking, but having some difficulty deciding between schools- I also have offers from Newcastle and Edinburgh! I was wondering, what made you decide Glasgow as your first choice? It's really hard to find info online and I'm going to visit soon but would love to hear any opinions I can! Thank youu :biggrin:

Hii I’m going to gsa for painting and printmaking in September, let me know if you accept your offer and we can maybe stay in touch :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Oliviaboltonj!
hey im also holding an offer, do u have insta?:smile:

hi sorry just saw this - that’s great!! my ig is pulalaughton
Reply 6

hii firstly well done!! and definitely a good ide to visit - personally i was choosing between ual and glasgow because they are the only unis that offer interaction design, and since i live close to london, i visited glasgow and that really helped.

personally i chose glasgow because the city is so so friendly and vibrant, and full of creativity - just from a 2 day visit the energy was infectious, not too busy but just exciting enough, whereas for me london is too industrial and impersonal. GSA is also much smaller and closer connected it seems, and i liked the walkability of the city and yeah the visit was great :smile:

also it’s really helpful to speak to the lecturers there about the course and what their values are, so you know more about what teaching style would suit you best. for me that’s the one reason i haven’t entirely decided on glasgow yet, because i felt the lecturers at ual aligned more with what i want to get out of the course than glasgow, but in the interview i asked them about flexibility in the course and included what i might want to do (working across different media while maintaining the ethos of the course) and they were very positive about it
Reply 7
Original post by d4rk3ntries
Hii I’m going to gsa for painting and printmaking in September, let me know if you accept your offer and we can maybe stay in touch :smile:

ahh congrats! have you applied for housing yet? i’m a little worried about being accepted because glasgow is having a bit of a housing crisis and i haven’t heard back from them yet, but hopefully should be fine
ahh congrats! have you applied for housing yet? i’m a little worried about being accepted because glasgow is having a bit of a housing crisis and i haven’t heard back from them yet, but hopefully should be fine

Yeah I applied as soon as I got the email a few weeks ago!! I’m a bit worried about getting any accom as well but it’s because I’m actually from scotland myself so they will probably prioritise giving other people a place over me, have you applied yet?
Reply 9
Yeah I applied as soon as I got the email a few weeks ago!! I’m a bit worried about getting any accom as well but it’s because I’m actually from scotland myself so they will probably prioritise giving other people a place over me, have you applied yet?

ohh i see that’s a good point!! fingers crossed - the good thing (for now at least) is that my friend at margaret macdonalds says they usually accept 2nd years as well and even a few 3rds, so hopefully they still prioritise first years.

also just realised what course you’re doing, that’s awesome!! i know several very talented people who were all rejected which is really shocking so it seems the course is incredibly selective.. i know someone on the same course starting this year too and she’s lovely! do you know how many people are usually on this course? mine tends to be 15 but it’s not at all as popular so i wonder how big all the other courses are
ohh i see that’s a good point!! fingers crossed - the good thing (for now at least) is that my friend at margaret macdonalds says they usually accept 2nd years as well and even a few 3rds, so hopefully they still prioritise first years.
also just realised what course you’re doing, that’s awesome!! i know several very talented people who were all rejected which is really shocking so it seems the course is incredibly selective.. i know someone on the same course starting this year too and she’s lovely! do you know how many people are usually on this course? mine tends to be 15 but it’s not at all as popular so i wonder how big all the other courses are

That’s given me a bit of hope seeing that they accept people from 2nd/3rd as well, hopefully I get a place cause I really don’t want to stay at home!! I’m not sure how many people are on p&p exactly but as far as I’m aware it’s the largest course they’ve got so I’d think maybe around 30 - I’m honestly not sure at all lol. It’s interaction design you’re doing right? 15 doesn’t seem like a lot of people at all so now I’m wondering as well what the sizes are for all the other courses they’ve got
That’s given me a bit of hope seeing that they accept people from 2nd/3rd as well, hopefully I get a place cause I really don’t want to stay at home!! I’m not sure how many people are on p&p exactly but as far as I’m aware it’s the largest course they’ve got so I’d think maybe around 30 - I’m honestly not sure at all lol. It’s interaction design you’re doing right? 15 doesn’t seem like a lot of people at all so now I’m wondering as well what the sizes are for all the other courses they’ve got

i can’t remember whether i specified which accom i wanted to stay in when i applied, but i want to stay at margaret macdonald how about you?
I want to stay in Margaret MacDonald as well, I don’t know if we get to pick though I was really confused about that cause the website didn’t say what happens when we select a room
hii firstly well done!! and definitely a good ide to visit - personally i was choosing between ual and glasgow because they are the only unis that offer interaction design, and since i live close to london, i visited glasgow and that really helped.
personally i chose glasgow because the city is so so friendly and vibrant, and full of creativity - just from a 2 day visit the energy was infectious, not too busy but just exciting enough, whereas for me london is too industrial and impersonal. GSA is also much smaller and closer connected it seems, and i liked the walkability of the city and yeah the visit was great :smile:
also it’s really helpful to speak to the lecturers there about the course and what their values are, so you know more about what teaching style would suit you best. for me that’s the one reason i haven’t entirely decided on glasgow yet, because i felt the lecturers at ual aligned more with what i want to get out of the course than glasgow, but in the interview i asked them about flexibility in the course and included what i might want to do (working across different media while maintaining the ethos of the course) and they were very positive about it

Thanks for your reply, that was really helpful to hear about even if we're doing different courses! interesting how you mentioned the teachers' values, I hadn't really considered that - can I ask what theirs were? Tysm again :smile:

Sure, sounds great! :biggrin:
Thanks for your reply, that was really helpful to hear about even if we're doing different courses! interesting how you mentioned the teachers' values, I hadn't really considered that - can I ask what theirs were? Tysm again :smile:

by that i meant more personally to my course - there is a big focus on people and using art as a medium to discuss politics, culture etc. as well as the importance of studying design history to influence the work. it was just good to speak to the lecturer and see that the way they spoke about my course aligned with what i enjoy. they also put a focus on becoming versatile designers instead of being taught exactly how to do something as the course is very interdisciplinary and the industry for interaction design is ever changing, especially now
Hi everyone! I received an offer today for Interaction Design, surprisingly for second-year entry 😀 (I applied for first year so I'm not sure if this is an error; I didn't know they could change the entry year, but it makes sense as I'm currently studying an HNC)
I want to stay in Margaret MacDonald as well, I don’t know if we get to pick though I was really confused about that cause the website didn’t say what happens when we select a room

Hii! i was just reading through the chat and i cant agree more!!! Im finding that gsa's services are so confusing, half the time i don't even know whats going on!! I only just got approved for accommodation today and i freaked out and rushed to pick the room- but as i was looking through the booking service they have LOADS of rooms. I was so worried i wouldn't get a slot!
(oh and I have gsa as my firm choice for textile design.)
also, THANK YOU guys for making this thread- does anyone know if there's any other platform for connecting with people who are also going to gsa? (Im so lost mwahaha)
Original post by lil1iyoung
Hii! i was just reading through the chat and i cant agree more!!! Im finding that gsa's services are so confusing, half the time i don't even know whats going on!! I only just got approved for accommodation today and i freaked out and rushed to pick the room- but as i was looking through the booking service they have LOADS of rooms. I was so worried i wouldn't get a slot!
(oh and I have gsa as my firm choice for textile design.)
also, THANK YOU guys for making this thread- does anyone know if there's any other platform for connecting with people who are also going to gsa? (Im so lost mwahaha)

I was rushing as well cause I didn’t know if there would be many rooms left - did you end up going for margaret macdonald or blysthwood?
Also I don’t think there is any other platform kind of thing, I’ve not seen any Facebook groups or group chats going around so I think this is the only kind of thing people have been communicating on :smile:
I was rushing as well cause I didn’t know if there would be many rooms left - did you end up going for margaret macdonald or blysthwood?
Also I don’t think there is any other platform kind of thing, I’ve not seen any Facebook groups or group chats going around so I think this is the only kind of thing people have been communicating on :smile:

I went for the Margaret Macdonald one because it was cheapest woop woop How about you??

Quick Reply

Latest