The Student Room Group

Art Masters - RCA/CSM/Oxford

Hi everyone, I need an advice! I've applied to Royal College of Arts, Central Saint Martins and the Ruskin School of Art at Oxford. I don't know what to choose. Is there someone who can critically and consciously give me the differences between these universities? I have applied with my research which is documentary in fine arts. Are there any other better options that I should consider? Thank you

- update - unfortunately, I got rejected at the Ruskin (I think for teachability. At the interview I focused too much on audiovisuals and not toldthem enough about painting and photography practice) but if the school is good I could wait a year.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Have you already been accepted to all these?
Reply 2
Original post by pewpew49
Have you already been accepted to all these?

yes, except for Ruskin, but I can retry
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by caardos
Hi everyone, I need an advice! I've applied to Royal College of Arts, Central Saint Martins and the Ruskin School of Art at Oxford. I don't know what to choose. Is there someone who can critically and consciously give me the differences between these universities? I have applied with my research which is documentary in fine arts. Are there any other better options that I should consider? Thank you
- update - unfortunately, I got rejected at the Ruskin (I think for teachability. At the interview I focused too much on audiovisuals and not toldthem enough about painting and photography practice) but if the school is good I could wait a year.

Did you only apply to art MFAs within the UK? If you're only interested in UK based programmes then you def should reapply next year!
Reply 4
Original post by mapotofu2024
Did you only apply to art MFAs within the UK? If you're only interested in UK based programmes then you def should reapply next year!

No I would like to go in a milder place, but it seems that al the best "European" choice are in UK, am I wrong?
Original post by caardos
No I would like to go in a milder place, but it seems that al the best "European" choice are in UK, am I wrong?

Where r u from? By ‘a milder place’ do u mean less intense or more cultural inclusive?
Reply 6
Where r u from? By ‘a milder place’ do u mean less intense or more cultural inclusive?

No i meant climate. From Italy btw
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Reply 7
Ah ok. Again I think if you’re only interested in being in the UK for an mfa in art, and maybe have another year to prepare a new portfolio, the Ruskin would be worth another shot. I went to csm for undergrad and got into the Ruskin this year, can’t speak for RCA but I think csm is not worth your while.

ok thank you. I’ve read similar opinions on different forum about csm. Ruskin invited me for the interview then rejected me, I believe for a “teachability” matter though, because what I do is too far from what they teach I guess(?) and for my bad english as well;
But is there a good reputation around RCA coming from “people in the field”?
Original post by caardos
ok thank you. I’ve read similar opinions on different forum about csm. Ruskin invited me for the interview then rejected me, I believe for a “teachability” matter though, because what I do is too far from what they teach I guess(?) and for my bad english as well;
But is there a good reputation around RCA coming from “people in the field”?

I get the vibe that ppl who went to the RCA tend to be very supportive of the programme. It is an art school - whereas Oxford will potentially offer you connections to people from other fields and industries. I personally didn’t apply to neither rca nor csm this year. I think if your practice involves other aspects of studies such as anthropology etc.. reapplying next year is generally quite standard procedure (even more so for top schools in other countries)
Reply 9
I get the vibe that ppl who went to the RCA tend to be very supportive of the programme. It is an art school - whereas Oxford will potentially offer you connections to people from other fields and industries. I personally didn’t apply to neither rca nor csm this year. I think if your practice involves other aspects of studies such as anthropology etc.. reapplying next year is generally quite standard procedure (even more so for top schools in other countries)

this is a nice point of view. Many people are telling me to not lose this opportunity, as it is probable you won't get an offer twice, on the other hand I feel like you can't go wrong with Oxford (but you have to get in). I really don't have idea of what to do... what you mean "supportive of the program?"
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Original post by caardos
this is a nice point of view. Many people are telling me to not lose this opportunity, as it is probable you won't get an offer twice, on the other hand I feel like you can't go wrong with Oxford (but you have to get in). I really don't have idea of what to do... what you mean "supportive of the program?"

"supportive of the programme" meaning they generally speak very highly of it. Applying again this year means you need to make a new portfolio and delving deeper into researching the theoretical and style preferences of the school (unfortunately yes). and this may not be in your best interest, so perhaps going with the one that already welcomed you with open arms is a smart choice!
"supportive of the programme" meaning they generally speak very highly of it. Applying again this year means you need to make a new portfolio and delving deeper into researching the theoretical and style preferences of the school (unfortunately yes). and this may not be in your best interest, so perhaps going with the one that already welcomed you with open arms is a smart choice!

Hey! Sorry so random but did you say you're going to do the MFA at ruskin next year? cause same!
Original post by mfa2008
Hey! Sorry so random but did you say you're going to do the MFA at ruskin next year? cause same!

omg! yes - nice to meet you!
(edited 1 week ago)
omg! yes - nice to meet you!

no wayyy!!! so fun lovely to meet you too!! which college are you going to?
Original post by mfa2008
no wayyy!!! so fun lovely to meet you too!! which college are you going to?

I just DMed u on this platform dk if u got it? I'm going to St Anne's what abt u!
I just DMed u on this platform dk if u got it? I'm going to St Anne's what abt u!

woah so cool! im going to St Johns

Quick Reply

Latest