The Student Room Group

Career help

Hi,
I'm looking for help in deciding what to do. I did drama for GCSE and unfortunately couldn't take it for A levels as it clashed with something else. I've been lying to myself for quite sometime and to a lot of people around me because I'm afraid of what they'll say. Anytime anyone asks me what I want to be I default to game designer or costume designer, forcing myself to believe it. When in reality all I ever wanted to do was become an actress, even if that means being an extra for the rest of my life. Yet when I tell people that, especially my parents, they roll their eyes and ask me what I "really" want to be.

I don't know what to do. Sure I've thought about how once A levels are over I can just switch but I'll have nothing. No experience. No contacts. No support. And it's eating me up inside. Any suggestions would be nice.

(Short) No one supports my want to be an actress and so I haven't done anything to prepare to be one. Not sure what to do.
Original post by ChocolateHater
Hi,
I'm looking for help in deciding what to do. I did drama for GCSE and unfortunately couldn't take it for A levels as it clashed with something else. I've been lying to myself for quite sometime and to a lot of people around me because I'm afraid of what they'll say. Anytime anyone asks me what I want to be I default to game designer or costume designer, forcing myself to believe it. When in reality all I ever wanted to do was become an actress, even if that means being an extra for the rest of my life. Yet when I tell people that, especially my parents, they roll their eyes and ask me what I "really" want to be.

I don't know what to do. Sure I've thought about how once A levels are over I can just switch but I'll have nothing. No experience. No contacts. No support. And it's eating me up inside. Any suggestions would be nice.

(Short) No one supports my want to be an actress and so I haven't done anything to prepare to be one. Not sure what to do.

Hi @ChocolateHater

That sounds frustrating. I would tell anyone to follow the career they think is right for them and is what they want, but I understand it's not always that simple.

Why don't you try talking to the a level drama teacher at your school/college? Although you don't study drama, I'm sure they can offer some advice about where you could go next to try and progress into an acting related career.

It also might be worth having look at university or college courses, further education, or even jobs that relate to acting or theatre to see if there are any options for after your a levels that you think you would like to do. I understand this might be quite hard to consider, especially if you're parents are unsure about an acting career. But if you have some options to show them, maybe they can gain a better understanding of what you'd like to do?

I would definitely try and have a chat with the drama teacher to see if they can offer any advice on your situation and maybe this could help clear your mind a bit.

I hope this helps and best of luck!

Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @ChocolateHater

That sounds frustrating. I would tell anyone to follow the career they think is right for them and is what they want, but I understand it's not always that simple.

Why don't you try talking to the a level drama teacher at your school/college? Although you don't study drama, I'm sure they can offer some advice about where you could go next to try and progress into an acting related career.

It also might be worth having look at university or college courses, further education, or even jobs that relate to acting or theatre to see if there are any options for after your a levels that you think you would like to do. I understand this might be quite hard to consider, especially if you're parents are unsure about an acting career. But if you have some options to show them, maybe they can gain a better understanding of what you'd like to do?

I would definitely try and have a chat with the drama teacher to see if they can offer any advice on your situation and maybe this could help clear your mind a bit.

I hope this helps and best of luck!

Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Thank you so much for the response. I'll definitely have a chat with the drama teacher, don't know why I didn't think about it. Have a wonderful week and thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest