The Student Room Group

Interrupting Law Degree

Due to personal reasons, I’ve had to put a pause on my law degree before starting my second year. I plan on returning next year, but I don’t just want to sit around for a year and do nothing. Is there anything I could do during this time that would look good on applications for next year. Also, is it possible to apply for first year schemes, or do I count as a second year? Thanks in advance.
Would not be a conventional thing to do but you could self study for and pass the SQE1 exam if you can afford the exam fee. I think you can do the SQE1 exam before you finish an LLB (or other degree). Or more conventionally perhaps try to get a job as a para legal or something law related even if just working as a receptionist at a law firm and doing voluntary work at a law centre or CAB
Reply 2
Hey!

I think getting some work experience would be great. I would also focus on attending law firm events, open days, and career fairs so that you can build your relationship with these firms and find out what it is like to work there. Especially because you have a lot of free time, it would be good to attend as many as you can so that you can distinguish between these firms when it comes to writing your applications. With that being said, you could also think about writing applications and how you would answer "Why commercial law?". If you are not sure that you want to pursue a career in the City, this could be a great time to research working in-house or national law firm. The Commercial Law Academy has a great course with law firm profiles, which I would recommend as well as the one with alternative legal careers.
Original post by RunningJaguar345
Due to personal reasons, I’ve had to put a pause on my law degree before starting my second year. I plan on returning next year, but I don’t just want to sit around for a year and do nothing. Is there anything I could do during this time that would look good on applications for next year. Also, is it possible to apply for first year schemes, or do I count as a second year? Thanks in advance.

Hi @RunningJaguar345

I think the best thing that you could do is to use the year to get as much legal work experience as you can so that you are ahead of the rest so to speak when you finish your degree. Not only will this be great for your CV but it should really help with your legal studies as it will give you a great understanding of law in practice such as writing skills or oral advocacy etc. Equally, it is important that you take the time away from studying that you needs so that when you are ready to come back you are ready rather than drained or burnt out 🙂

I hope this helps!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending