The Student Room Group

PGCE & Tuition Fee Advice Needed!

Hello!
Quick background info… I’m currently in the second year of my undergraduate studies (BA(Hons) Sociology & Criminology)
I started uni in 2020, and interrupted my studies for a year and am now redoing my second year, i (hopefully) will be graduating nov 2025.

When I graduate I ideally want to do the Secondary PGCE & QTS (Salaried) at Liverpool John Moores unless there is a better route for me that anyone knows of? (Based in Liverpool!)

I was wondering if having an interruption/redoing a year of my undergraduate degree will affect my eligibility to get a tuition fee loan?

I was also wondering if this is the best route for me to get into secondary teaching, and if even though my course is Sociology & Criminology, can I still teach History at Secondary/A-Level?
I was wondering if having an interruption/redoing a year of my undergraduate degree will affect my eligibility to get a tuition fee loan?

No, it won't. Funding for teaching is separate from undergraduate funding; you can use all your undergraduate allowance and still get full tuition (and maintenance) for teaching. The funding is the same as that of an undergraduate, despite being a postgraduate qualification.

I was also wondering if this is the best route for me to get into secondary teaching, and if even though my course is Sociology & Criminology, can I still teach History at Secondary/A-Level?

The best route is whatever is best for your circumstances. I did university-led PGCE with QTS and would 100% recommend it; however, some people want to go via a SCITT/School Direct as they feel it's better for them. Each provider will set its own requirements, so you're best checking whether they'd accept your degree to teach a different subject - you might be required to do a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course. I looked at teaching biology, but because there wasn't enough in my undergrad (Nutrition), they told me I'd have to gain an A level and do an SKE if I wanted to teach it. I stuck to Food Tech :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending