The Student Room Group

Gender questioning sibling

Hoping someone can make me feel a bit better.

Earlier today my brother told me that he's gender questioning and doesn't feel like he's a man, and is wondering if he might be trans or non-binary.

Atm I'm just feeling a bit scared and upset. I have absolutely no problem with people who identify as trans or non-binary, and when my brother told me this I was super supportive and happy for him and told him that I love him either way, and he seemed happy that he told me.

However now I'm just sitting in my room holding back tears. I'm a super anxious person and really do not cope well with change, and whenever things in my life feel too overwhelming I always turn to my family for some comfort and familiarity. I love my brother so much, he's my absolute rock and we always look out for eachother.

But now I'm just so scared that I'm going to lose my brother. This is too much change for me to cope with, and I can't even turn to my family to calm my nerves this time. I'm scared nothing will be the same anymore, change just makes me so scared and I'm just terrified about my brother not being the same person anymore. I so badly want to support my brother and of course I still will, and ultimately all I want is for him to be happy, but I just can't shake this feeling of fear. :frown:

I guess I just want to know if it's ok to feel like this? What can I do to make myself feel better? Are things really going to change as much as I think they will? Any advice from someone, especially if you've been through something similar, would be hugely appreciated, I just really want a hug right now.
Hi,
I don’t have personal experience with this but just know that how you feel is valid and ok!
Just remember that your sibling is still your sibling, except they’ll just be a more authentic (and hopefully happier) version of themselves.
Sorry I don’t have better personal advice, but you could try looking to see if there are any resources online?
Sending hugs and know that you aren’t alone x
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by sparklydinosaur
Hi,
I don’t have personal experience with this but just know that how you feel is valid and ok!
Just remember that your sibling is still your sibling, except they’ll just be a more authentic (and hopefully happier) version of themselves.
Sorry I don’t have better personal advice, but you could try looking to see if there are any resources online?
Sending hugs and know that you aren’t alone x
This is the most ridiculously late reply ever lol, but thank you so much! I really needed to hear that, and I've remembered what you said several times these last few months! Things are definitely not as scary as I thought they'd be, in fact they're largely the same as they were before, so I had nothing to worry about! I really appreciated what you said tho, so thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending