The Student Room Group

Is it normal to hate your siblings?

I can’t stand my brother because he is so spoiled. He had his entire life handed to him but is so cocky and asks like he accomplished something. He never does nothing for my mom ever but always gets to have his way while I have to do everything. He always pretends if he he has this amazing life and is always too busy for her when he has nothing to show for his absence besides daddy’s money and car. I work so hard but get crap handed to me. Some people assume that since I’m a girl that I’m spoiled but I’m actually the guy in the family who’s strong and has to work while he sits pretty and does nothing. Yes I have a lot but I worked for it. Nobody gave me nothing ever. I can’t stand him is this bad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you guys all live together?
Reply 2
Original post by avery_
Do you guys all live together?

Not for long because I’m leaving home at the end of summer I’m tired of being Cinderella!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Not for long because I’m leaving home at the end of summer I’m tired of being Cinderella!

Ok - very common then. I hated mine - then they and I moved out, and I'm still not close with my brother but very, very close with my sister. Which is almost unbelievable since we hated eachother for years - now we're maturer and since moving out, I see her as a best friend! :smile:
Reply 4
Totally. I stopped talking to my older sister for other reasons when I was 13. I also feel the same towards my brother- the youngest and the only boy in my Asian household so his privileges have long outshined what I've received.
My experience is similar to yours, I've always had to 'prove' myself to my parents and received little yet my brother can sit back, do nothing and my parents would worship him.
Reply 5
Hate is a strong word, especially towards a sibling...I do think it's disgusting.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Totally. I stopped talking to my older sister for other reasons when I was 13. I also feel the same towards my brother- the youngest and the only boy in my Asian household so his privileges have long outshined what I've received.
My experience is similar to yours, I've always had to 'prove' myself to my parents and received little yet my brother can sit back, do nothing and my parents would worship him.

So glad I’m not alone! And I can’t stand being compared to him! I had to work for my life! He only has his because of yall! He don’t even pay his car insurance and he just got a dui so the rate is higher but they still worship him and pay!
Reply 7
So glad I’m not alone! And I can’t stand being compared to him! I had to work for my life! He only has his because of yall! He don’t even pay his car insurance and he just got a dui so the rate is higher but they still worship him and pay!

ikr! Everything I used to get literally beat up for he would get away with, tbh my dad is loosening *a bit* up bc I think he's starting to see how crazy obsessed they've been with my brother especially when my mum brushes everything my brother does wrong with the excuse that he's 'still a baby'. Like he was literally reported by his school for some online harassment and my parents did absolutely nothing, no questions literally nothing. Still makes my blood boil bc if it was me then they'd send me out of the country!
I'm about to go to uni this year and I literally cannot wait just so I can escape the toxicity.
Reply 8
I can’t stand my brother because he is so spoiled. He had his entire life handed to him but is so cocky and asks like he accomplished something. He never does nothing for my mom ever but always gets to have his way while I have to do everything. He always pretends if he he has this amazing life and is always too busy for her when he has nothing to show for his absence besides daddy’s money and car. I work so hard but get crap handed to me. Some people assume that since I’m a girl that I’m spoiled but I’m actually the guy in the family who’s strong and has to work while he sits pretty and does nothing. Yes I have a lot but I worked for it. Nobody gave me nothing ever. I can’t stand him is this bad?

It's pretty normal to have resentment I used to really resent my older sibling. Tbh though it doesn't sound like he's trying to deliberately hurt you it's more like your jealous and frustrated (for good reason) and it isn't just him who's the problem. Try to stop expecting him to live up to your expectations of being completely modest and hardworking because he is just human and try to appreciate him. As for the crap getting handed to you, I think you need to tell your parents how you feel so you can sort it out with them.
Reply 9
Original post by Th4t1kid
It's pretty normal to have resentment I used to really resent my older sibling. Tbh though it doesn't sound like he's trying to deliberately hurt you it's more like your jealous and frustrated (for good reason) and it isn't just him who's the problem. Try to stop expecting him to live up to your expectations of being completely modest and hardworking because he is just human and try to appreciate him. As for the crap getting handed to you, I think you need to tell your parents how you feel so you can sort it out with them.

Sometimes telling doesnt work. My siblings and I have had several conversations with my parents, being backed up by my grandparents and several other family members yet they refuse to believe they treat my brother differently to us. Sometimes you just cant take the toxicity out of a person.
I think its also super hard for someone to accept the fact that they've had to work so hard to just receive 1% of the love from their parents yet another sibling can do hardly anything and receive 100% of it all. I do agree with you though, its jealousy and frustration. I mean its quite normal to feel jealous when you see someone else receive the love and care that you could've also had, sometimes even blaming yourself that you did something wrong to be treated so differently.
The 'hate' bit comes in when you see that sibling take things for granted, for example.
Original post by xox416
Hate is a strong word, especially towards a sibling...I do think it's disgusting.

I don't mean to pry, but why do you think your sibling is disgusting? I imagine they must be horrendous.
Reply 11
Original post by toxicgamage56
I don't mean to pry, but why do you think your sibling is disgusting? I imagine they must be horrendous.

You read my post all wrong :smile:
I didn't read your long text, but yes. It is alright to hate your sibling. I even hate my sister, although I have not met her once.
Bruh you lot are losers if you really hate your siblings. What a sad life. You can argue, sure, but HATRED- thats messed up.
Whining online to a bunch of strangers over your own brother or sister- makes me sick that this is what relationships have come to.
Bruh you lot are losers if you really hate your siblings. What a sad life. You can argue, sure, but HATRED- thats messed up.

No prejudices to people you don't know. My younger (half) sister and I were not even grown up together, so what.

People live different lives, they also have different feelings as you so its a bit sad for you to assume everyone will feel the same. OP didnt even mention arguing.
Even if people were siblings, you cant surely not hate them if, for example, they did something like beating you to the point of bleeding and not even getting in trouble for it right? That's what happened to me and I have the right to express hatred or does that mean I still lead a sad life?
Whining online to a bunch of strangers over your own brother or sister- makes me sick that this is what relationships have come to.

Forums like this are for the purpose to find people with similar experiences, especially if they don't have anyone else to talk to. Giving people reassurance that they're not alone is better than drowning in their own negative feelings. Plus are you not whining to a bunch of strangers that we're discussing this topic anyway?

so according to your logic, if you are hurt by your sibling in any way or they are always upsetting you, you STILL have to love them because they're your sibling? lol ok. for me its always about building positive relationships. yes this person is family and you are related, but you are allowed to not like them especially if they already hate you! I've never had a really good relationship with my younger brother. We have always fought and not agreed on anything but he is generally unkind and hateful towards me. Much like OP, my brother is spoiled and treated better while I work for the things I earn. So it's natural that I have a dislike for him. I don't think you should be forced to like your sibling, maybe you can agree to disagree and stay away from each other after either of you move out if it gets serious, but just because you're family doesn't mean you instantly have love for each other. that's not how it works.
Pretty normal to not get along with your siblings when you live together. My relationship with my own nemesis vastly improved when we no longer were sharing a household :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending