The Student Room Group

Am I dumb ?

Thsi is going to come of as weird but my dad asked me a question which in my mind I said no bc it was a political question regarding our current prime minister and so It made sense that the question he asked wouldn’t be possible . however I thought that he would most likely ask me in order to see if I would say yes - so I just said yes . But he just said in a sarcastic tone you have no clue of politics do you ? like ur other 3 siblings. I felt dumb and it just gets so overwhelming when as the younger sibling looking on everything ACADEMICALLY I have achieved by far bestttt results - considering these were STEM subjects which my siblings couldn’t always handle . I have achieved 1st place in multiple science / mathematics competitions on an international scale and yet he never praises me same way as he does rest of my siblings . The second I tell him that I want to study a certain subject at university in the SMALLEST misunderstanding he brings it up and says I’m stupid / not capable and just swe@r/s constantly. No one in my family respects me and sometimes it rlly does make me reduce the amount of respect I have for them as second I try talk about it they say well ur the youngest u don’t deserve our respect ( baring in mind that at thsi age I also do everything from cleaning to cooking in entire house of 7 people .
Original post by high-fiber-organ
Thsi is going to come of as weird but my dad asked me a question which in my mind I said no bc it was a political question regarding our current prime minister and so It made sense that the question he asked wouldn’t be possible . however I thought that he would most likely ask me in order to see if I would say yes - so I just said yes . But he just said in a sarcastic tone you have no clue of politics do you ? like ur other 3 siblings. I felt dumb and it just gets so overwhelming when as the younger sibling looking on everything ACADEMICALLY I have achieved by far bestttt results - considering these were STEM subjects which my siblings couldn’t always handle . I have achieved 1st place in multiple science / mathematics competitions on an international scale and yet he never praises me same way as he does rest of my siblings . The second I tell him that I want to study a certain subject at university in the SMALLEST misunderstanding he brings it up and says I’m stupid / not capable and just swe@r/s constantly. No one in my family respects me and sometimes it rlly does make me reduce the amount of respect I have for them as second I try talk about it they say well ur the youngest u don’t deserve our respect ( baring in mind that at thsi age I also do everything from cleaning to cooking in entire house of 7 people .

You are not dumb as you have clearly shown from your achievements that you are arguably the smartest person in your house.

I think your situation is happening because you are the youngest and not about a hatred or dislike from your family.

I suggest that you speak to your closest family member about how you feel and use them to reach out to other family members. You can also hold an intervention and bring it up to everyone after supper one day.

Good luck.

PS: If you are interested in going to uni to study STEM, consider Cambridge. Best.
Original post by Wired_1800
You are not dumb as you have clearly shown from your achievements that you are arguably the smartest person in your house.
I think your situation is happening because you are the youngest and not about a hatred or dislike from your family.
I suggest that you speak to your closest family member about how you feel and use them to reach out to other family members. You can also hold an intervention and bring it up to everyone after supper one day.
Good luck.
PS: If you are interested in going to uni to study STEM, consider Cambridge. Best.

Thankyou!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending