The Student Room Group

how many more years will student finance support me

I have an question about how many more years student finance will support me . I have previously finished 2 years of a Foundation Year Course just finishing this recent May, but then switching in September to my current Foundation year course, both in the same uni , so 6 consecutive years in total of higher education. I have just paid (£9,250) my 1 years tuition fee for this academic year , I was wondering how many more years of self funding will I have to do, until Student Finance can take over with my school funding. I read on the student finance website that student finance will calculate how many years they will support you through this equation (your course length + 1) - (previous years of study), (4 years of current course with foundation year + 1) - (2 years of previous study) = 3. So does that mean that student finance will support me for 3 more additional years of my current course, or only 1 more year on this current course because they supported me for 2 years in my previous course.
(edited 6 months ago)
Hey @SupahShen,

Your current course would count as three years, the '+1' is to cover any foundation, placement, study abroad, or integrated masters years. So Student Finance should already have funded your first three years of tuition so far, and they will fund one more. This means you would need to self-fund two years. If you need specific information, the best course of action is always to get in touch with SFE themselves and see what they say.

Hope this helps!

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd Year Psychology BSc
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @SupahShen,

Your current course would count as three years, the '+1' is to cover any foundation, placement, study abroad, or integrated masters years. So Student Finance should already have funded your first three years of tuition so far, and they will fund one more. This means you would need to self-fund two years. If you need specific information, the best course of action is always to get in touch with SFE themselves and see what they say.

Hope this helps!

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd Year Psychology BSc

Hi,
So do you mean 2 more additional years of funding (on top of this current year which i just paid for) or 2 years total of funding in this new course I need to do, because I already paid for this year's tuition of 9k.

Thanks
Original post by SupahShen
Hi,
So do you mean 2 more additional years of funding (on top of this current year which i just paid for) or 2 years total of funding in this new course I need to do, because I already paid for this year's tuition of 9k.

Thanks

Please ignore the advice given by the Lancaster rep. An official SFE rep will answer your query tomorrow during office hours.
Original post by SupahShen
I have an question about how many more years student finance will support me . I have previously finished 2 years of a Foundation Year Course just finishing this recent May, but then switching in September to my current Foundation year course, both in the same uni , so 6 consecutive years in total of higher education. I have just paid (£9,250) my 1 years tuition fee for this academic year , I was wondering how many more years of self funding will I have to do, until Student Finance can take over with my school funding. I read on the student finance website that student finance will calculate how many years they will support you through this equation (your course length + 1) - (previous years of study), (4 years of current course with foundation year + 1) - (2 years of previous study) = 3. So does that mean that student finance will support me for 3 more additional years of my current course, or only 1 more year on this current course because they supported me for 2 years in my previous course.

Hi SupahShen,

Yes, you are correct in saying that the calculation is course length + 1 year - previous study years. This means that if you have 2 years of previous study, that is taken into account for your new course. If the new course is 4 years in length (including the foundation year) it would be 4+1-2=3 years. This means that you would need to self fund the Tuition Fees in years 1 as you will only be awarded the Maintenance Loan and grants in year 1, then you would receive full support including the Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and any applicable grants in years 2, 3 and 4 of the new course.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending