The Student Room Group

Student finance twice?

Hey guys so I didn’t complete my 1st year & dropped out due to medical reasons. I was sent an overpayment letter. I applied again for university & they have accepted funding for my new course but I haven’t started paying the overpayment back but I’ve had a new entitlement letter saying they’ll fund my new 4 year course. Because I didn’t finish my 1st year is that classed as a bonus year still because they said they are just waiting for my uni to confirm attendance but I do have a previous overpayment so how does that work? Thanks guys
Original post by Betty1989
Hey guys so I didn’t complete my 1st year & dropped out due to medical reasons. I was sent an overpayment letter. I applied again for university & they have accepted funding for my new course but I haven’t started paying the overpayment back but I’ve had a new entitlement letter saying they’ll fund my new 4 year course. Because I didn’t finish my 1st year is that classed as a bonus year still because they said they are just waiting for my uni to confirm attendance but I do have a previous overpayment so how does that work? Thanks guys

Hey @Betty1989,

Student Finance will typically fund a three year course, plus a bonus year - so if you have already been funded for one year, that is your bonus year, and they will provide funding for three more years. If you've just started a new four year course, this means you would need to self-fund one year of your course.

SFE will be able to give you more specific information on the overpayment process. You can find out the best way to get in touch with them here. However, anything you owe SFE will be automatically taken off any future maintenance loan you receive.

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd Year Psychology BSc
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Student Finance will typically fund a three year course, plus a bonus year - so if you have already been funded for one year, that is your bonus year, and they will provide funding for three more years. If you've just started a new four year course, this means you would need to self-fund one year of your course.

That's not correct. The calculation used is:

Length of the new degree + 1 year (gift year) - the number of years of previous study.

So for the OP it will be: 4 +1 -1 = 4 years

Please note that queries on the Ask SFE forum are to be answered by offical reps from SFE (not uni reps).
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
That's not correct. The calculation used is:

Length of the new degree + 1 year (gift year) - the number of years of previous study.

So for the OP it will be: 4 +1 -1 = 4 years

Please note that queries on the Ask SFE forum are to be answered by offical reps from SFE (not uni reps).

Yes this is what they told me on the phone also so I think your information is correct. Thanks for the advice 😊
Original post by Betty1989
Yes this is what they told me on the phone also so I think your information is correct. Thanks for the advice 😊

Hi Betty1989,

If you only have 1 year of previous study, you are eligible for the duration of the new course. If you have an outstanding Maintenance Loan or Grant overpayment, this will automatically be removed from your future entitlement/payments.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending