The Student Room Group

Pharmacology vs. Biochem?

Okay so currently im deciding between pharmacology and biochem and just today I was just talking to a teacher and he said "you want to do biochem? that's for people who usually don't get into med school" and he seemed kind of shocked because I do well in school and now I don't know what to do. I know I want to do something in biological/life science but now I'm just confused. Pharmacology seems interesting as well, as I have looked into it so that might be good but I have heard it limits your options but the pay is better whereas for biochem i have heard that it just isn't that good What does everyone think?
Original post by bold_banana
Okay so currently im deciding between pharmacology and biochem and just today I was just talking to a teacher and he said "you want to do biochem? that's for people who usually don't get into med school" and he seemed kind of shocked because I do well in school and now I don't know what to do. I know I want to do something in biological/life science but now I'm just confused. Pharmacology seems interesting as well, as I have looked into it so that might be good but I have heard it limits your options but the pay is better whereas for biochem i have heard that it just isn't that good What does everyone think?

Are you in year 12? If so, start attending uni open days and go to the course talks for a range of subjects. Browse the course lists on uni websites and see what other bio/science options are available (e.g. natural sciences https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/natural-sciences-placement-year-bsc-hons-gfc1/2024/). If you're still keen on biochem, do biochem. It's your life and you should study something that really interests you. Your degree subject doesn't define what you do after uni - you will be able to apply to the majority of grad schemes no matter what you study.

A good resource:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest