The Student Room Group

Is taking an alevel not irrelevant to my degree and career choice a bad idea?

I want to study medicine and be a doctor. So obviously I'm going to take chemistry and biology as alevels because most uk med schools require chemistry, less but still lots require biology and some don't require but suggest chem and bio, (some also suggest math, physics and psychology, but I don't want to do any of them). An alevel I'm quite interested in taking is classic civilization, which isn't going to help with uni, but you need good grades for medical school, in the uk the lowest typical offer is ABB (only one med school) and the highest is A*A*A (also only one school), the avarage offer for 26 out 39 unis is AAA., I don't think I can get a good enough grade in math, physics and psychology because I tend to do better in subject I like. So, would it be better to take a subject better suited to a medical degree and just hope I can get a high grade or should I take something I want to take and probably do better (classics isn't a gcse subject so I don't even know how well I'm able to do which worries me).
Original post by ARKing08
I want to study medicine and be a doctor. So obviously I'm going to take chemistry and biology as alevels because most uk med schools require chemistry, less but still lots require biology and some don't require but suggest chem and bio, (some also suggest math, physics and psychology, but I don't want to do any of them). An alevel I'm quite interested in taking is classic civilization, which isn't going to help with uni, but you need good grades for medical school, in the uk the lowest typical offer is ABB (only one med school) and the highest is A*A*A (also only one school), the avarage offer for 26 out 39 unis is AAA., I don't think I can get a good enough grade in math, physics and psychology because I tend to do better in subject I like. So, would it be better to take a subject better suited to a medical degree and just hope I can get a high grade or should I take something I want to take and probably do better (classics isn't a gcse subject so I don't even know how well I'm able to do which worries me).

Hi @ARKing08

I don't study medicine, but speaking from experience, I would always recommend choosing A Levels that you want to take and think you'll enjoy. Biology and Chemistry both sound great and would be ideal for applying for medicine. But I'd suggest your third subject is something different you have an interest in, like Classic Civilization you mentioned. Choosing subjects you're interested in is more likely to keep you motivated in studying, and choosing something different could also be a nice break from studying two science subjects.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @ARKing08

I don't study medicine, but speaking from experience, I would always recommend choosing A Levels that you want to take and think you'll enjoy. Biology and Chemistry both sound great and would be ideal for applying for medicine. But I'd suggest your third subject is something different you have an interest in, like Classic Civilization you mentioned. Choosing subjects you're interested in is more likely to keep you motivated in studying, and choosing something different could also be a nice break from studying two science subjects.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Thank you for the advice, I've done some more looking into it, and from what I can as long as I have chemistry and biology the grade of the third subject is more important. So I'm going to take something I think I could do well in (maybe classic civilisation).
Thank you for the advice, I've done some more looking into it, and from what I can as long as I have chemistry and biology the grade of the third subject is more important. So I'm going to take something I think I could do well in (maybe classic civilisation).

That sounds great! It seems like you're more sure about what you want to choose, and like I said before, you want to enjoy your subjects no matter what.

Good luck!
Emily
Take whatever you can get the highest grade in for your third subject.
Maths and Physics are very relevant to medicine. They will help in lots of ways. Also in medicine you're going to be doing lots of basic sciences - anatomy/physiology/biochem/path/pharmacology and if you struggle to learn things you don't enjoy then you're in for a rough ride as I can't see any medical student loving all the basic sciences they need to learn.

Cambridge is the only medical school that cares what your third subject is - all others don't care what the third subject is as long as you get a strong grade in it. Note also which medical school you go to will not influence your future medical training and recruitment in the UK by design as the NHS blinds all recruiters to your medical school to ensure there is no bias (and the NHS is the only provider of postgraduate medical training).

So just take classical civ and go on your way :smile:

Original post by RosaPonselle
Maths and Physics are very relevant to medicine. They will help in lots of ways. Also in medicine you're going to be doing lots of basic sciences - anatomy/physiology/biochem/path/pharmacology and if you struggle to learn things you don't enjoy then you're in for a rough ride as I can't see any medical student loving all the basic sciences they need to learn.

Somewhat relevant perhaps, I think "very relevant" may be a stretch for most cases.

Also I get the impression plenty of doctors did not especially enjoy studying the basic sciences outside of a clinical context as it's the clinical context which makes it interesting to them.

While on a purely conceptual level I understand what you are saying but, in reality it's not necessary practically and when it comes down to it: getting an A* in a non-STEM subject is much better and will door more to get them towards a career in medicine vs potentially even getting a B or C in a STEM subject the OP doesn't enjoy or do well in.

Although as patients I think it's preferable to think of doctors as extremely capable and all knowing, the reality is at least medicine admissions are much more about efficient box checking than being some kind of outstanding supergenius scientist.

Quick Reply

Latest