The Student Room Group

Comp Sci as a 5th option?

May sound ridiculous but as a dentistry applicant, my 5th option is free for something different. I was thinking whether it would be worth applying to a Comp Sci course for my 5th, but I have limited work experience and personal statement relevant for CS. I have a Grade 9s in AQA GCSE Maths and OCR Computer Science and predicted A* at A-Level Maths, with my overall predicted grades being A*A*A. However I don't have Comp Sci A-Level. Is this a very far stretch or are places I could apply for Comp Sci or a related course?
Sorry if it seems dumb but I genuinely am not sure about entry requirements etc
(edited 5 months ago)
Computer science is very competitive at the more 'prestigious' universities and so I would avoid adding any of those. Luckily, the universitity you go to is not important in future career prospects; not as important as decent work experience from the course.

I would look for a good quality middle ranking university and email them to see what they would advise about the personal statement. Surrey might be a good starting point.
Contact some of the universities you’re interested in and ask them. Although CS is oversubscribed it’s rare for universities to put much focus on the PS for CS and those that do may well be willing to accept an additional PS sent in directly.

Also look into the CS courses at your dentistry choices. If you’re unsuccessful for dentistry you can always ask them to reconsider your for CS instead and get some “bonus” choices.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Contact some of the universities you’re interested in and ask them. Although CS is oversubscribed it’s rare for universities to put much focus on the PS for CS and those that do may well be willing to accept an additional PS sent in directly.

Also look into the CS courses at your dentistry choices. If you’re unsuccessful for dentistry you can always ask them to reconsider your for CS instead and get some “bonus” choices.

I dont have much to talk about - what would I write in the PS? Apart from my GCSE coding exp, I don't have anything. Do unis care much about those things like MOOCS, work experience etc?
I'm thinking of applying to either Sheffield, Birmingham, Bristol or Durham
If it is the fifth option I would tend towards the less competitive ones in that list. Dentistry is risky so you need a safe bet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending