The Student Room Group

Work experience questions medicine

I have work experience in a hospital (current year 12) but I have no idea what to ask I have basic questions but I was wondering if anyone has anymore I could ask
Reply 1
I suspect there may not be an awful lot of time for talking. If so, it is likely to flow quite naturally as part of a conversation. If you have a couple of prompting type questions that sounds great and just be yourself.

What you may find yourself doing more specifically is observing.

Have a look at the key qualities of a doctor and as you are going around look out for when and how you see them.displayed. what did the doctor do to exemplify them, how did the patients react. What was your impression of how Teamwork was working, what about communication, Empathy, etc. Did you see any specific examples of how the broader MDT worked together or the interactions between doctors and the rest of the MDT.

Read up on these things and how they are defined before you go so you are consciously looking out for them. Then when you get home (or if you have a lunch break) think about what you saw, and how it relates.

You are yards 12 so you have some time, but it might be really useful to start a reflective diary not just for what you see in your work experience but also to note examples of how you have displayed those attributes. Example...

https://www.rcgp.org.uk/getmedia/02dcaf12-9cf9-4494-86db-745d422d76e8/RCGP-reflective-diary-June-2019.pdf

It's not a huge tick box exercise though. You will learn more than you think you will just by being there. It's about the experience.
Reply 2
NB the reflective diary bit (as in how to reflect etc) is useful in the above link, but the pdf itself is old so references to specific med schools or A levels on the application side may be out of date. So for that sort of stuff always refer to the website.
Thank youuu
Original post by GGIN
I suspect there may not be an awful lot of time for talking. If so, it is likely to flow quite naturally as part of a conversation. If you have a couple of prompting type questions that sounds great and just be yourself.

What you may find yourself doing more specifically is observing.

Have a look at the key qualities of a doctor and as you are going around look out for when and how you see them.displayed. what did the doctor do to exemplify them, how did the patients react. What was your impression of how Teamwork was working, what about communication, Empathy, etc. Did you see any specific examples of how the broader MDT worked together or the interactions between doctors and the rest of the MDT.

Read up on these things and how they are defined before you go so you are consciously looking out for them. Then when you get home (or if you have a lunch break) think about what you saw, and how it relates.

You are yards 12 so you have some time, but it might be really useful to start a reflective diary not just for what you see in your work experience but also to note examples of how you have displayed those attributes. Example...

https://www.rcgp.org.uk/getmedia/02dcaf12-9cf9-4494-86db-745d422d76e8/RCGP-reflective-diary-June-2019.pdf

It's not a huge tick box exercise though. You will learn more than you think you will just by being there. It's about the experience.
Hello,

My name is Haya, and I am one of the final year medical students at UCLan.

My biggest advice would be to just listen to the patient and ask them about their story, you can learn a lot from the patient if you let them speak.

You can also use the template we use to take a full medical history as medical students and doctors, an example is found on this website https://geekymedics.com/fall-history-taking-osce-guide/

Hope this helps,

Haya- MBBS 5
Original post by UCLan Student
Hello,

My biggest advice would be to just listen to the patient and ask them about their story, you can learn a lot from the patient if you let them speak.

You can also use the template we use to take a full medical history as medical students and doctors, an example is found on this website https://geekymedics.com/fall-history-taking-osce-guide/

Hope this helps,

Haya- MBBS 5

Thank you so much
Reply 6
Original post by UCLan Student
Hello,

Hope this helps,

Haya- MBBS 5

Really interesting link to that website thank you; and really great advice to listen to what the patient says to the doctor about their health and its impact on them.

However, I would be very very surprised if any year 12 work experience student would ever have to take a history ? Surely not? My assumption would be that it was very much listen and learn only?
Original post by GGIN
Really interesting link to that website thank you; and really great advice to listen to what the patient says to the doctor about their health and its impact on them.

However, I would be very very surprised if any year 12 work experience student would ever have to take a history ? Surely not? My assumption would be that it was very much listen and learn only?

I think she means if they were to show an example of them taking an history and went through the steps with us

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending