The Student Room Group

Second Year Primary Education student - don't want to do course anymore

Hey everyone,

I am a second-year student studying Primary Education. I'm feeling so burnt-out after completing my teaching placement for the last month. I have to take a 30 minute bus to school at 7.30 in the morning to get there for 8. At the moment, teaching 8 lessons and feel so stressed out. It takes so long to plan lessons and then having to spend my lunch break printing out resources. Sometimes, skipping lunch to do this. At the end of the day, I have to mark so many books. In addition, I have to so much behaviour management to deal with as quite a few SEN kids in my class. Then the bus is so irregular, it takes even longer to get home. I'm planning lessons at night and not getting enough sleep as so exhausted after placement living off 3 hours sleep. I feel so stressed and I don't know what to do. I like the teaching bit and working with kids. But I struggle so much with time-management and I don't think I will be able to cope as a teacher with a class of 30 kids and 5 lessons each day. I am in my second year and it's too late to change degrees. I also struggle to do my assignments, leaving it until last minute to do them frequently. I have a feeling I may have ADHD but not been to a professional about it yet. I also have no idea what else I could do. Is there anything else you can do with a primary education degree other than be a teacher? Is there anyone in this situation? Or if you can offer any advice I would appreciate it.
Original post by sashadivachic
Hey everyone,

I am a second-year student studying Primary Education. I'm feeling so burnt-out after completing my teaching placement for the last month. I have to take a 30 minute bus to school at 7.30 in the morning to get there for 8. At the moment, teaching 8 lessons and feel so stressed out. It takes so long to plan lessons and then having to spend my lunch break printing out resources. Sometimes, skipping lunch to do this. At the end of the day, I have to mark so many books. In addition, I have to so much behaviour management to deal with as quite a few SEN kids in my class. Then the bus is so irregular, it takes even longer to get home. I'm planning lessons at night and not getting enough sleep as so exhausted after placement living off 3 hours sleep. I feel so stressed and I don't know what to do. I like the teaching bit and working with kids. But I struggle so much with time-management and I don't think I will be able to cope as a teacher with a class of 30 kids and 5 lessons each day. I am in my second year and it's too late to change degrees. I also struggle to do my assignments, leaving it until last minute to do them frequently. I have a feeling I may have ADHD but not been to a professional about it yet. I also have no idea what else I could do. Is there anything else you can do with a primary education degree other than be a teacher? Is there anyone in this situation? Or if you can offer any advice I would appreciate it.

Hi @sashadivachic ,

I don't study primary education or a course like this but I have friends that do and they say it's exhausting and I can imagine it gets really hard!
I would say if you have a mentor or personal tutor to schedule a meeting with them and explain how you are feeling as they may be able to offer you some kind of help or just some advice to help you get through the course!
If you know which parts of the job you like and dislike, this may help you in deciding what job you want to do - could you work in a nursery where they may not be as much planning/marking? Or as a teaching assistant?

As hard as it is now, you may be able to get a job closer to where you live which would help with stress and time management or the more you get used to it you may enjoy it. Or if you've decided it's definitely not for you, at least you know this now and can think about doing something else! There may be conversion courses you can do for a year when you have your degree to enable you to do something else so it's worth looking into this too.

I would also say to look into getting an ADHD assessment If you feel you may have this. If nothing else, at least you would know for sure and I think this would help you a lot as you may be able to find ways to manage it. So I would push for this and make sure you are taken seriously!

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Reply 2
I'm jealous your commute is that short. For my next placement I have to leave my house at 6am to get there for 8.

I don't really have any advice, sorry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending