The Student Room Group

Woodford county sixth form

anyone applying for Woodford county sixth form (external)
Reply 1
Hello I have and I've gotten an offer for September although I'm not too sure if I 100% want to go. Is Woodford your first choice?
Reply 2
Original post by lenaidc
Hello I have and I've gotten an offer for September although I'm not too sure if I 100% want to go. Is Woodford your first choice?

yep, what about you?
Reply 3
Original post by cleoanne
yep, what about you?

btw whats ur grade avg?
Reply 4
yep, what about you?

Kind of I'm deciding between another school and woodford.
Reply 5
btw whats ur grade avg?

My grade av is 8.25 and i want to do history english lit and politics + EPQ what about you?
Reply 6
Original post by lenaidc
Kind of I'm deciding between another school and woodford.

If I get into woodhouse or lae, I'm going to not go Woodford
Reply 7
Original post by lenaidc
My grade av is 8.25 and i want to do history english lit and politics + EPQ what about you?

classics, politics and psychology + EPQ !! My grade avg is something like 7.6
Reply 8
anyone applying for Woodford county sixth form (external)

ex student here- if you care about your mental health don't go there
Reply 9
Original post by tooza
ex student here- if you care about your mental health don't go there

oh could you expand on why I shouldn't go?
Reply 10
Original post by tooza
obvs at the end of the day its up to you whether you go or not- but from my experience you get v little support from staff there mixed with a sense of unnecessary competitiveness that is really demoralising. if you find that you are struggling then you're sort of treated like a slacker rather than someone who needs help (doesn't help that majority of students are heavily tutored outside of school anyways to try and keep up). mental health isn't taken seriously and most of the focus is on grades and academic performance which is obvs important but not everything ygm. they make it seem like getting average grades like Bs and Cs seem like the end of the world and it really takes a toll on your self esteem and general mental health. they also make it seem like uni is the only path you can take and therefore dont really pay much attention to the average students whose goal isnt to go to uni to do med,law or engineering.this is just one of the main problems, i suggest having a read through some of the google reviews cause they're pretty accurate imo. of course there were times that i had fun and enjoyed it but looking back i really wished i had gone somewhere else

Thanks for the reply, I looked at the google reviews, and honestly, it's appalling, is it really as bad as most of them say?
Reply 11
Thanks for the reply, I looked at the google reviews, and honestly, it's appalling, is it really as bad as most of them say?

Hiya
So I just finished yr 11 and I’m probably going to stay and I just want to say I really enjoy going to Woodford
I’m not sure how long ago the student you responded to went but in terms of pastoral care it’s pretty good
I struggled a lot with anxiety panic attacks depression and although yes the school has a lot of issues with SLT
Particularly with SEN concerns being taken seriously they have got a lot better, I had one on one counselling for 2 years as did many of my friends, I was given a lot of support by teachers
The area they’re really lacking is helping with exams, despite the fact I had multiple panic attacks during many of my GCSE exams and they were aware this would likely happen I had no support with making accommodations

Competition and comparison is kind of awful I can’t lie, for GCSEs I’m still trying to fight the feelings of if I get a 7 I’m a failure
But from the ppl I’ve talked to in 6th form people get a little more relaxed with that

In terms of teaching If you’re doing humanities Woodford really does have some amazing teachers and I’d say the English history politics Latin and classics depts are our biggest strength
Stem is good but nothing particularly outstanding
The maths dept is rlly good
And I’m a musician so I can safely say the music department are all so lovely and get incredible results

The school body itself like the students are interesting
It is a very left leaning liberal group of ppl I’d say, I think that’s quite common though particularly in girls schools
Girls are generally really nice just keep away from the clearly problematic people, they’re very outspoken and Woodford girls have opinions and aren’t afraid to let them be heard which I really like
And I think they’re really good at making sure externals feel welcome, some of my closest friends are externals, the head girl this year was an external, many of the prefects are as well
You will not feel out of place if you aren’t from Woodford

This is my opinion only but I hope a slightly different perspective helps ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending