The Student Room Group

do i have a chance at medicine still? (GCSE)

hello, i've just gotten my GCSE results and ngl i'm pretty disappointed.
i got 6 A*s in all the sciences, maths, english language, history
and 4 Bs in english literature, comp sci, art and spanish.

i wanted to apply to bristol, UCL, glasgow, and Edinburgh or imperial. From my understanding they only have minimum requirements for GCSEs to achieve and then they don't look at GCSEs. Is this true?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by pen_to_paper

i wanted to apply to bristol, UCL, glasgow, and Edinburgh or imperial. From my understanding they only have minimum requirements for GCSEs to achieve and then they don't look at GCSEs. Is this true?

Thank you.

wow...your grades are still very competitive for medicine in the universities you mentioned. And tbh.... for you, there is no need to worry about your GCSE grades. Just hit the other requirements(A-level and others) and you will be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Jack39
wow...your grades are still very competitive for medicine in the universities you mentioned. And tbh.... for you, there is no need to worry about your GCSE grades. Just hit the other requirements(A-level and others) and you will be fine.

thank you so much! that was really reassuring :smile:
Original post by pen_to_paper

Thank you.

That's the case for UCL and Imperial, not sure about Edinburgh. I gather that Edinburgh is extremely hard to get into if you're a RUK student rather than a Scottish student due to the places being split and RUK spots having many more applicants per place. Might be worth looking into more to verify.

As long as you focus on medical schools with just minimum gcse requirements and do well in the UCAT you have as good a chance as anyone else though.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
That's the case for UCL and Imperial, not sure about Edinburgh. I gather that Edinburgh is extremely hard to get into if you're a RUK student rather than a Scottish student due to the places being split and RUK spots having many more applicants per place. Might be worth looking into more to verify.

As long as you focus on medical schools with just minimum gcse requirements and do well in the UCAT you have as good a chance as anyone else though.

Alright, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest