The Student Room Group

I need help

I have misophonia which means that I cannot stand the sound of someone clearing their throat because it drives me absolutely insane and it gives me rage and makes me want to basically end that person. As horrible as it sounds a lot of people suffer from this. I have repeatedly told my sister and mother about this but my sister is a ***** and she does it repeatedly to annoy me. I have a hightened sense of hearing whenever she does it so I can hear it from my bedroom and its drives me absolutely crazy. I honestly don't know what to do because I love my family and I would never want to harm them but my ******* sister drives me insane. Any advice?
Live alone.
Reply 2
I can't do that because I am 16
Reply 3
It just really annoys me that I have told my family repeatedly about this but my sister especially doesn't seem to respect my boundaries. They tell me to wear headphones but I can't exactly do that 24/7. I don't know how to describe it but the gutteral noise from the clearing of the throat just makes me tense and angry and I feel so disgusted. If a stranger does clears their throat once it's fine especially if it isn't a really deep gutteral sound but if it is repeatedly done it drives me insane and my only focus is making that person stop doing it in any way possible or getting away from the sound. Some people might hate the sound of a fork scraping across a plate and my annoyance it is kind of similar to that, it feels like someone is doing it non-stop.
Original post by Anonymous
my sister especially doesn't seem to respect my boundaries.

That's kind of the problem, you can't really say someone else making a noise is crossing any boundaries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending