The Student Room Group

GCSE

Hi everyone, I have an important question. I am starting to be GCSE in Two years. I need help picking which subjects that will help if I want to study astronomy at A levels. I am thinking of triple science and obviously have to do maths. But I’ve looked at some website and they say computer science is important, but I can’t do that. I’m rubbish at it. What should I do? And what other subjects should I pick?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by AdamsCharlotte
Hi everyone, I have an important question. I am starting to be GCSE in Two years. I need help picking which subjects that will help if I want to study astronomy at A levels. I am thinking of triple science and obviously have to do maths. But I’ve looked at some website and they say computer science is important, but I can’t do that. I’m rubbish at it. What should I do? And what other subjects should I pick?

Hi @AdamsCharlotte

I'd always suggest choosing at least one subject that you really enjoy, whether it relates to your career aspirations directly or not. Although it's important and wise that you're thinking ahead for your A Levels, make sure you think about present you too, and what you'd like to do. For example, I studied Drama for GCSE and am likely to never be an actress, but I loved it! And it broke up my timetable from just core subjects, so maybe have a think about that.

You also have time between your GCSE's and A Levels, so try not to put too much pressure on yourself when choosing. I'm sure choosing a different subject won't be detrimental to you moving forward towards astronomy.

If you're unsure about Computer Science, you maybe need to think: are you choosing it because you feel you have to, or are you thinking if choosing it because you'd actually like to get better at it? It's similar to what I mentioned above, you want to enjoy what you're studying so maybe choosing Computer Science might not be for you. But, it could also be that you want to get better at it, and now would be the time to try.

There is no definitive right or wrong answer when choosing, so try not to worry. I'm sure you'll come to a decision that's right for you.

Best of luck!
Emily
Student Rep at BCU 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest