The Student Room Group

Weird housemates

Hello there! Just a quick one

Has anyone else discovered that there housemates are slighty odd?

My sistuation is as follows:

I am always clean and tidy with good manners. I hoover the kitchen once every few days and i mop it every three weeks.

The dishwasher is always emptied and dishes are sorted on the worktop.

I always have to clean up the bathroom as others are ****ing all over the seat. They shave and leave mess everywhere.

Now onto the fun part...

Apparently I am too ''Obsessive'' and clean too much ? Is it such a crime to not appreciate dirt dishes being left in the sink? Or grease being left on the hob? According to them, a kitchen floor needs to be mopped every 5 months. I am getting sick of the ******s I am meeting.

No one has lifted a finger since we moved in but me. I will continue to clean as it becuase I am living here and I treat it as if its my own house. That is what I believe makes uni a bit more comftoble as opposed to living in ****. I just wonder whats up with students these days ?

Hopfully someone can shed some light.

Age - 21
Original post by Anonymous

I am always clean and tidy with good manners. I hoover the kitchen once every few days and i mop it every three weeks.

I always have to clean up the bathroom as others are ****ing all over the seat. They shave and leave mess everywhere.

Now onto the fun part...

Apparently I am too ''Obsessive'' and clean too much ? Is it such a crime to not appreciate dirt dishes being left in the sink? Or grease being left on the hob? According to them, a kitchen floor needs to be mopped every 5 months. I am getting sick of the ******s I am meeting.

No one has lifted a finger since we moved in but me. I will continue to clean as it becuase I am living here and I treat it as if its my own house. That is what I believe makes uni a bit more comftoble as opposed to living in ****. I just wonder whats up with students these days ?

Age - 21

Hiya

I can understand how frustrating this can be- I have encountered people like this during my experiences of shared living as well. Many of us students have never had to do house chores before so some of us are surprisingly oblivious to cleaning.

I'd say the best way forward would be for you to ask everyone to meet and discuss this in person. It's not fair that you have to do all the cleaning by yourself so if you haven't already raised this issue, it's best to do it sooner rather than later. On the flipside, you will also have to be ready for the possibility that nothing might change even after the meeting so developing a thick skin is very important!

-Himieka
(edited 5 months ago)
Hi,

I’m sorry for what your going through. I (20/F) know how that feels to have all the responsibility thrown on you for the housework but mine is more towards family members but still a similarly case.

I’d advise you to stick boundaries and leave their dishes within the dishwasher for example. Are you able to wash the dishes in the sink? If so, then it would be a good way to make a point since eventually they will have to wash their own dishes.

Hope that somewhat helps x
Reply 3
Hi,

I’m sorry for what your going through. I (20/F) know how that feels to have all the responsibility thrown on you for the housework but mine is more towards family members but still a similarly case.

I’d advise you to stick boundaries and leave their dishes within the dishwasher for example. Are you able to wash the dishes in the sink? If so, then it would be a good way to make a point since eventually they will have to wash their own dishes.

Yeah, thats probably a good idea. I suppose when it boils down to (me) one person against a majority, I'll have no luck!

I do apologise about the spelling! I quickly jumped on to make this thread and didnt realise you couldnt edit anonymous posts hahaha. What a day
Reply 4
Original post by Durham Students
Hiya

I can understand how frustrating this can be- I have encountered people like this during my experiences of shared living as well. Many of us students have never had to do house chores before so some of us are surprisingly oblivious to cleaning.

I'd say the best way forward would be for you to ask everyone to meet and discuss this in person. It's not fair that you have to do all the cleaning by yourself so if you haven't already raised this issue, it's best to do it sooner rather than later. On the flipside, you will also have to be ready for the possibility that nothing might change even after the meeting so developing a thick skin is very important!

-Himieka

Thank you!!!
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,

Yeah, thats probably a good idea. I suppose when it boils down to (me) one person against a majority, I'll have no luck!

I do apologise about the spelling! I quickly jumped on to make this thread and didnt realise you couldnt edit anonymous posts hahaha. What a day

Awww no worries! I really do hope things get better for you! (:

Now onto the fun part...

Age - 21

Hi there

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, I agree with the post above that most students are unaware of the need to clean since they have never had to do it before.

If it is possible, perhaps trying to organise and allocate a rota amongst yourselves may be useful? Though I understand it would be intimidating.

When I had to share accommodation with my flatmates, I found it easier to just clean whatever equipment I needed to cook and only clean up after myself. There is certainly no pressure to clean up others messes for them. (I enjoyed spending most time in my room which was tidy, rather than looking at the whole flat as my house, perhaps this would help?)

I hope things get better for you.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Now onto the fun part...

Age - 21

Anon,

I know you mean well, but you might be coming across as too parent-like and this might be making some of the other housemates feel a bit frustrated or annoyed.

I know its not nice to live in a messy environment and it's frustrating when it affects you personally e.g. no space to cook/ or dishes everywhere, but as said by Chloe, it might be better to focus on your own space and things.

They are not going to become more independent or clean by you doing all their cleaning for them. Though it's difficult, you really do need to leave them to learn that they need to do their own washing up, clean up for themselves and be more responsible.

By doing all the cleaning, it might matters worse they might become even more messy knowing that they won't have to clean it up!

You could suggest a rota, but remember that their standard of cleaning or what they may be willing to do might be different from yours, so do try to work with where people are at e.g. they might not be willing to vacuum and mop the floor, but if they are willing to vacuum the floor, then that's a start.

It might also be an idea to think about next year, if you will be at university, whether you want to live in halls again or share a house. You might even like to consider a studio, so that you don't have to worry about other people's mess.

Finally, try not to let the cleaning issue prevent you from forming friendships with your housemates. It is something that needs to be discussed, but don't let it be the only thing that they associate with you.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 5 months ago)
In the years that I was living in shared accomodation with people & their pets, I encountered all manner of weird and lazy housemates.
Creepy, eccentric, entitled, idiotic, inconsiderate, jealous, lazy, petty tyrants, pervy, spoilt brats, thieving, noisy, nosy and unbelievably unhygenic.

Renting a room in a houseshare is a massive gamble on how odd or incompatible a few of the other housemates will be.
That's why I'll never go back to the days of living with another adult nor sharing a kitchen, bathroom or fridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending