The Student Room Group

Lecturer said I shouldn't come back

I didn't turn up to my group presentation. There were supposed to be 3 of us, but only 1 turned up, which I guess made the situation even worse. I watched the recording, and it seems like the lecturer wanted to make a bit of an example out of us by making a little speech about how terrible it was that two people had skipped the (non-graded) presentation. He started off saying normal stuff, but ended it by saying that if we turn up to any other classes after this, we're 'cheating'. Because we'll be 'coming to watch other people's presentations and getting the knowledge without doing any work ourselves'. This is pretty ridiculous but it was honestly really scary hearing him say that and has kind of put me in a difficult position. Do I genuinely not turn up anymore..?
Why didn’t you turn up?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Why didn’t you turn up?

I’ve been struggling with my anxiety a lot recently and haven’t been going to any classes in general, every time I go I start twitching and having random head jerking movements and I don’t know why. Doing a non-graded presentation is just out of the question for me. I do feel guilty about that one person having to do it alone though, I didn’t expect 2/3 of us to skip it :/

Should I not go back to that class anymore? It’s only for semester one so just 4 classes left
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't turn up to my group presentation. There were supposed to be 3 of us, but only 1 turned up, which I guess made the situation even worse. I watched the recording, and it seems like the lecturer wanted to make a bit of an example out of us by making a little speech about how terrible it was that two people had skipped the (non-graded) presentation. He started off saying normal stuff, but ended it by saying that if we turn up to any other classes after this, we're 'cheating'. Because we'll be 'coming to watch other people's presentations and getting the knowledge without doing any work ourselves'. This is pretty ridiculous but it was honestly really scary hearing him say that and has kind of put me in a difficult position. Do I genuinely not turn up anymore..?

Hi there,

Firstly, I totally understand that presentations can be really scary - though I do feel bad for the one person who showed up. I'd recommend contacting your lecturer, either during office hours or via email to share your concerns about why you didn't turn up. Most lectures should usually be understanding, once you've communicated this in private, it should be easier to go back to class without concerns.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
I’ve been struggling with my anxiety a lot recently and haven’t been going to any classes in general, every time I go I start twitching and having random head jerking movements and I don’t know why. Doing a non-graded presentation is just out of the question for me. I do feel guilty about that one person having to do it alone though, I didn’t expect 2/3 of us to skip it :/

Should I not go back to that class anymore? It’s only for semester one so just 4 classes left

Have you spoken to your university student support/counselling service about your anxiety?
If it's interfering with your learning by causing you to skip sessions then that's something you need to address. If you're struggling with presentation then an opportunity for an ungraded group presentation is a huge gift in terms of building your resilience and experience...the fact that you've opted out of that is concerning.
You were already in a difficult position due to your choices - whether they said anything or not.

I think you need to step back, seek some advice and consider whether continuing your studies at this time is realistic or in your best interests.
I feel terrible for the one person who showed up, especially if they were not warned beforehand that the other two were bunking. I get you have anxiety and possibly psychosomatic bodily reactions, but you ideally need to get that treated, no point in being at uni if, as you say, you're skipping all of your classes. And especially as it was ungraded that was a great opportunity to face your fears without worrying how it would impact your grades. It's far better for you to take an interruption of studies and seek professional help because once you enter the workplace you can't just not go in due to anxiety all the time, you'll be fired or won't pass probation etc. so better to deal with this now than let it fester.
(edited 5 months ago)

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having some anxiety while at university. Although presentations can be really scary, the more you do them the easier they become. When I was in first year I was terrified anytime I had to talk in front of my cohort but now as a 3rd year, it really doesn't bother me anymore so I promise it gets easier!

I would advise you to email your lecturer and make them aware of the circumstances surrounding why you didn't attend. They may be able to provide you with some support that the university offers to assist with anxiety and confidence building. I would be perfectly honest with your lecturer and hopefully, they will be understanding of your situation. It shouldn't impact your ability to attend lectures if you privately explain to the tutors how you are feeling.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi,
Sometimes Lecturers can be completely unaware for your reasonings for not attending as they do have other students simply just skipping for the sake of it.
My advice would be, if you feel comfortable, to email them and let them know your reasonings for not attending.
Most of the time communication will solve a lot of issues.
I hope you're on your way to or have managed to solve the situation.
Best of luck,
Meg 🙂
Original post by Anonymous #1

Speak to your university mental health/disability service, I struggle with the same issue and have a Disability Action Plan which is essentially a get out of jail free card when I miss classes/need an extension. When I first got it I didn't need it, but a few years into my degree now and struggling with attending classes due to anxiety so it's coming in useful. Look after yourself and please don't be afraid to reach out for help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending