The Student Room Group

Dreading going back to uni

Had some people in my course laugh at me, follow me when I’m leaving lectures and semi harass me and touch me when we aren’t in a casual setting

Just feel like crap if I see those guys again which I will
Really dreading it

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Had some people in my course laugh at me, follow me when I’m leaving lectures and semi harass me and touch me when we aren’t in a casual setting

Really dreading it

Don't go back then

Really dreading it

What year are you in?Have you made friends there.What would you like to do in an ideal world?Sorry this has been such an awful experience for you.
Don't go back then

Not gonna hide from anyone just want to know how to stop it tbh

Original post by Scotney
What year are you in?Have you made friends there.What would you like to do in an ideal world?Sorry this has been such an awful experience for you.

Going into second year
Yes I have friends and gone to events etc but I’m just dreading seeing some people that are on my course
I have no problem being touched on my arm or knee those are still professional safe spots but if we aren’t in a casual setting and I’m not flirting etc why does he think it’s okay to touch me in slightly inappropriate places when I’m not giving any green flags?
His friends also laugh at me and I’m really dreading it
In an ideal world I’d just like them to be normal friends with me or just totally ignore me

Going into second year
Yes I have friends and gone to events etc but I’m just dreading seeing some people that are on my course
I have no problem being touched on my arm or knee those are still professional safe spots but if we aren’t in a casual setting and I’m not flirting etc why does he think it’s okay to touch me in slightly inappropriate places when I’m not giving any green flags?
In an ideal world I’d just like them to be normal friends with me or just totally ignore me

Could you talk to one of your tutors about this or the student union .He absolutely should not be doing it and a word in his from someone in authority.Otherwise a loud 'get your hands off me' might work or even say you are going to report him to the uni if he puts a finger on you.He is just a bully who needs to be worried you might actually get him into trouble.Have you no big male friends who could put him in his place because he is completely out of order.

Going into second year

You could just quit and find something else. You said you don't want to go back but you are going back, it doesn't make since because its not like school that you legally have to go back, this is optional since you an adult now

Really dreading it

Are you female?
Original post by Scotney
Could you talk to one of your tutors about this or the student union .He absolutely should not be doing it and a word in his from someone in authority.Otherwise a loud 'get your hands off me' might work or even say you are going to report him to the uni if he puts a finger on you.He is just a bully who needs to be worried you might actually get him into trouble.Have you no big male friends who could put him in his place because he is completely out of order.

He did it while I was next to my friends, so discreetly that when I told them what he did they were shocked cause I was trying to focus during the lab we had and my friend was talking to him more

Yes, if this continues I might talk to my personal tutor about this

I only have female friends atm, thank you for your help :hugs:

You could just quit and find something else. You said you don't want to go back but you are going back, it doesn't make since because its not like school that you legally have to go back, this is optional since you an adult now

I understand, but I dont want to quit I course I really love and worked so hard to get here for over a few guys

If it gets worse with them I’ll reconsider maybe

Original post by Katie Lines
Are you female?

Yep
He did it while I was next to my friends, so discreetly that when I told them what he did they were shocked cause I was trying to focus during the lab we had and my friend was talking to him more

I understand, but I dont want to quit I course I really love and worked so hard to get here for over a few guys

Yep

If he is doing this in classes then really please go to your tutor.Uni's have to act on these things and even if he just gets spoken to by tutors he will back off because he will know he risks being put off the course.Please do not just put up with this.Good luck!
Original post by Scotney
If he is doing this in classes then really please go to your tutor.Uni's have to act on these things and even if he just gets spoken to by tutors he will back off because he will know he risks being put off the course.Please do not just put up with this.Good luck!

Thank you again
There's absolutely no reason you should quit over someone harassing you. Like everyone said talk to your tutor if you need to, but you deserve to be there and shouldn't let anyone stop you.
Thank you again

No problem!:hugs:
Original post by ran-dumb
There's absolutely no reason you should quit over someone harassing you. Like everyone said talk to your tutor if you need to, but you deserve to be there and shouldn't let anyone stop you.

Yea I agree
If I’m being honest, the first time he touched me I just froze, I didn’t know what to do because we were in a lesson and I don’t know why I froze either
The next time I saw him I ignored him because I was slightly annoyed and scared of him, then he ignored me but then after that he touched me again when I wasn’t even talking to him?! I don’t mind being touched, but there’s a time and place for everything
Arghhhhhhhhh I’ll talk to my tutor if he escalates the touching i hope not. I’ll just try and avoid him
Yea I agree
If I’m being honest, the first time he touched me I just froze, I didn’t know what to do because we were in a lesson and I don’t know why I froze either
The next time I saw him I ignored him because I was slightly annoyed and scared of him, then he ignored me but then after that he touched me again when I wasn’t even talking to him?! I don’t mind being touched, but there’s a time and place for everything
Arghhhhhhhhh I’ll talk to my tutor if he escalates the touching i hope not. I’ll just try and avoid him

If someone randomly did something like that I'd probably freeze too, hard to know what's the best thing to do when it never happened too much.

Yeah that makes sense, in a lecture and with no consent with you is definitely way out of line. I personally think standing up to him or not immediately go avoiding him would be a good idea, but of course if you're not comfortable a tutor can deal with that just fine.
Original post by ran-dumb
If someone randomly did something like that I'd probably freeze too, hard to know what's the best thing to do when it never happened too much.

Yeah that makes sense, in a lecture and with no consent with you is definitely way out of line. I personally think standing up to him or not immediately go avoiding him would be a good idea, but of course if you're not comfortable a tutor can deal with that just fine.

I think I froze because the first time it’s ever happened to me
You know when there are green lights if the other person is being very open and semi flirty etc but even then you don’t start at level 100, you start at level 1
If I’m just asking you very very very basic questions you don’t skip to level 100
I’ve had my summer holidays so if I do see him when I start I’ll talk to him - I don’t want him to know I am 5% scared lol
Thanks for your help :tongue:

Yep

Sad that there are so many male pigs out there who think they can try and take us to bed
Original post by Katie Lines
Sad that there are so many male pigs out there who think they can try and take us to bed

I don’t know what his intentions were, but they definitely were to go back to his place which I declined the first time he asked
The then touched me after I declined :s-smilie:
Certainly contact your tutor asap and flag it as harassment.
This should be taken seriously.

Try to write a clear and dispassionate account and make it clear that it was unwanted and cannot be a misunderstanding. The person is likely to escalate this type of behaviour with other people.

Have your friends keep an eye on you, possibly get them to use their phones to keep a record. They can always delete the footage if nothing happens.

A very loud “get your hands off me!” Should work.

Yep

You can't love it that much if you are dreading going back lol
I don’t know what his intentions were, but they definitely were to go back to his place which I declined the first time he asked
The then touched me after I declined :s-smilie:

Could be classed as sexual assault depending where he touched you, he had no right to do that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending