The Student Room Group

studying biochemistry at uni

Anyone got advice on how to approach studying for biochemistry at uni? For example what I should do before and after a lecture on a particular topic
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone got advice on how to approach studying for biochemistry at uni? For example what I should do before and after a lecture on a particular topic

Hey! How are you? :smile:

I think it'd be good to prepare before a lecture, so familiarise yourself with the topics that will be covered in an upcoming lecture, so you know what to expect / can prepare any questions. When writing your notes, write down key points, concepts and questions you have about the topic.

Then after the lecture, go through your notes to solidify your understanding, check over textbooks/resources to fill in any gaps in your understanding. You might find organising your notes in a bit of a system might help, colour coding, organising by topic, sub-topic etc.

It may also be nice to try form a little study group with your coursemates so you can all discuss concepts together, share your knowledge and offer different perspectives!

You could also practice questions and exercises by looking for practice problems in textbooks, online resources, or ask your professors for additional exercises to work on.

Hopefully you get some good advice from those studying the same course as you, but I hope this may have helped a little! Good luck with your studies! :smile:

Becky
Reply 2
Original post by University of Bradford
Hey! How are you? :smile:

I think it'd be good to prepare before a lecture, so familiarise yourself with the topics that will be covered in an upcoming lecture, so you know what to expect / can prepare any questions. When writing your notes, write down key points, concepts and questions you have about the topic.

Then after the lecture, go through your notes to solidify your understanding, check over textbooks/resources to fill in any gaps in your understanding. You might find organising your notes in a bit of a system might help, colour coding, organising by topic, sub-topic etc.

It may also be nice to try form a little study group with your coursemates so you can all discuss concepts together, share your knowledge and offer different perspectives!

You could also practice questions and exercises by looking for practice problems in textbooks, online resources, or ask your professors for additional exercises to work on.

Hopefully you get some good advice from those studying the same course as you, but I hope this may have helped a little! Good luck with your studies! :smile:

Becky

Hi, thanks for the suggestions! The lecture will basically outline the main points of what is in the textbook right and explain them as necessary?
Original post by Anonymous

Hi Anon!

I've done two years of a biochemistry degree so here is my advice! (Note: I definitely did not always do this, and likely neither will you all the time - but doing it occasionally will make life easier!)

Before the lecture I like to skim read the slides (like 10-15 minutes) so at least my brain has some idea what I'm walking into. If there is anything that genuinely makes no sense, or a diagram with no context, I'll make a note on the slide to pay extra attention to try and figure out what's going on in the lecture.

Try to learn to make notes in the lecture. Whether it's flashcards/written/typed etc. it will be much easier if you can leave the lecture with a nearly finished set of notes than having to re-watch the lecture later - which genuinely takes so much longer than you think. If I couldn't note everything down or knew I'd missed something the lecturer had said I'd make a note to come back to it.

After the lecture I went back to the recording to fill in the blanks in my notes or re-listen to anything I didn't quite understand. If I still didn't understand something I would go to the relevant section in the recommended textbook as often it will say the same thing but reworded and in more detail which helps me understand.

If you get given practise exam questions - do them! Some of my exam questions were literally the example questions with tiny changes so it really helped. Also in my experience sometimes areas covered in practicals and coursework will come up in exams so keep any notes from them as part of your revision.

I hope I could help, if you have any other questions about studying biochemistry please let me know! :smile:
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending