The Student Room Group

Improving A-Level grades with 6 months to go

Hi, so I am predicted AAB for my A levels which is what I am aiming to get, however I am still currently getting Bs and Cs in Law and Psychology (where I am predicted As) and Cs and Ds in English (where I am predicted a B). I'm starting to panic a lot, as A levels are in 6 months and I have mocks coming in 2 months. I really need to improve my grades by a lot and I have no idea where to start.
I didn't revise for my GCSEs and although I got all 7s I now have no idea how to actually revise. In Law and Psychology, I find that my writing style is good but I just cannot remember the content, and in English I feel like I have no idea how to write effectively- I understand the texts but my essays are awful and I don't even know how to make them better.
Does anyone have any revision tips for learning content? And just any general advice for upping my grades ASAP? Thanks.
Original post by myarv2
Hi, so I am predicted AAB for my A levels which is what I am aiming to get, however I am still currently getting Bs and Cs in Law and Psychology (where I am predicted As) and Cs and Ds in English (where I am predicted a B). I'm starting to panic a lot, as A levels are in 6 months and I have mocks coming in 2 months. I really need to improve my grades by a lot and I have no idea where to start.
I didn't revise for my GCSEs and although I got all 7s I now have no idea how to actually revise. In Law and Psychology, I find that my writing style is good but I just cannot remember the content, and in English I feel like I have no idea how to write effectively- I understand the texts but my essays are awful and I don't even know how to make them better.
Does anyone have any revision tips for learning content? And just any general advice for upping my grades ASAP? Thanks.

Hi @myarv2

Firstly, try not to panic! There is actually far more time than you think and you will get way better at revising and knowing the content. For example, in my mocks I think I got Bs, Cs, and even some Ds. I didn't really change how I worked (or at least not consciously) but by doing all of the assignments I was set and making sure I did do the revision when the exams were approaching I ended up getting A*A*A in my A levels so there is no reason why getting lower grades now will mean you are destined for lower grades in the future. I would recommend really narrowing down the focus of your study to the key material. To remember content, I used to read it, then cover it and write it on a whiteboard. I would keep doing that for the same set of 10 facts/ points etc. until I could do all 10 without error. It is also important to return to material and revision - just because you did it once a week ago does not mean it has been consolidated in your memory.

I hope this helps and good luck 🙂

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending