The Student Room Group

Applying for a placement

To people who have done a placement, I'm curious about your experience when applying for a placement year. How many placements did you apply to and of that number, how many offers did you get? When did you start applying, and when did you hear back from your applications? If you've pursued an economics or a similar degree, what kind of placements did you apply to? How did you search for placement opportunities?

Additional personal questions:

I self taught myself sql through a udemy course which I would put under the certifications section in my cv. Is it worth to create a sql project to list in my cv under a projects section?

Should I talk about a excel project that was completed as part of my BTEC Level 3 (A level equivalent) ICT course to show that I have an understanding of excel? The excel project was done completely independent.

Should I apply for internships in addition to placements? This would be a backup plan in case I don't secure a placement.

Is there anything I can do during the summer to improve my cv?

Some background information about myself:

First year student studying economics and finance at a mid tier year university. Have a 79 grade average in semester 1 which is likely to fall down to a 75+ grade average.
(edited 8 months ago)
Hello
To answer your questions, i have listed responses below.

How many placements did you apply to and of that number, how many offers did you get?
Over 40 Placements, and received many offers for interviews and finally got the placement :smile:.
Why not create a Word doc/ PowerPoint or notedown the below to keep track.
The date of application, Company, Job title, COPY the job description, Location- remote, any interviews received. This will help you to see what is the downfall in your application. e.g is it the assessment, competency based questions, interview etc.

When did you start applying, and when did you hear back from your applications?
Started applying early Oct/ Nov. Employers reply whenever it suits them or not at all.
This is why you need to apply ASAP.

Fear not if you haven't applied yet, there is still time. Sign up for Uni careers fair or local jobs fair.
Ask your Careers placement team about Placement / contract jobs and double check it meets the 6 month threshold.
Create a LinkedIn/ indeed/ monster jobs account. Have a good reference to help you when sending off CV's.

If you've pursued an economics or a similar degree, what kind of placements did you apply to? How did you search for placement opportunities?
Not economics but Business. Applied to tech/ sales/ Admin/ Marketing/ Data.

For economics;
Project Management, Logistics, Operations - those sort of roles.
Keep your criteria wide as you never know when you find the role that you thought was not an option, but is now your reality.

Searched for placement opportunities, everywhere leaving no stone unturned. Keep trying.
Get in touch with your Uni, they are there to help!!!

Is it worth to create a sql project to list in my cv under a projects section?
Sure, why not if you have spare time. Shows employers you are determined.

Should I talk about a excel project that was completed as part of my BTEC Level 3 (A level equivalent) ICT course to show that I have an understanding of excel? The excel project was done completely independent.
If structured correctly, can do if it seems like this was a valuable aspect of your learning. E.g Using the CAR/ STAR method framework.

Should I apply for internships in addition to placements? This would be a backup plan in case I don't secure a placement.
Ask your Uni careers team about contract jobs ( 6 months) for placement as backup as well as the internship for backup, if by then you already have not secured a placement.

Why not check for more certifications / career opportunities e.g Microsoft fundamentals certificate, Volunteering.

First year student studying economics and finance at a mid tier year university. Have a 79 grade average in semester 1 which is likely to fall down to a 75+ grade average.
Congratulations :smile:. Hope everything goes well and just give it your best go.
Just check for job requirements e.g First or 2:1 for some placements.

All the best,
Best wishes
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous_198
Hello
To answer your questions, i have listed responses below.

How many placements did you apply to and of that number, how many offers did you get?
Over 40 Placements, and received many offers for interviews and finally got the placement :smile:.
Why not create a Word doc/ PowerPoint or notedown the below to keep track.
The date of application, Company, Job title, COPY the job description, Location- remote, any interviews received. This will help you to see what is the downfall in your application. e.g is it the assessment, competency based questions, interview etc.

When did you start applying, and when did you hear back from your applications?
Started applying early Oct/ Nov. Employers reply whenever it suits them or not at all.
This is why you need to apply ASAP.

Fear not if you haven't applied yet, there is still time. Sign up for Uni careers fair or local jobs fair.
Ask your Careers placement team about Placement / contract jobs and double check it meets the 6 month threshold.
Create a LinkedIn/ indeed/ monster jobs account. Have a good reference to help you when sending off CV's.

If you've pursued an economics or a similar degree, what kind of placements did you apply to? How did you search for placement opportunities?
Not economics but Business. Applied to tech/ sales/ Admin/ Marketing/ Data.

For economics;
Project Management, Logistics, Operations - those sort of roles.
Keep your criteria wide as you never know when you find the role that you thought was not an option, but is now your reality.

Searched for placement opportunities, everywhere leaving no stone unturned. Keep trying.
Get in touch with your Uni, they are there to help!!!

Is it worth to create a sql project to list in my cv under a projects section?
Sure, why not if you have spare time. Shows employers you are determined.

If structured correctly, can do if it seems like this was a valuable aspect of your learning. E.g Using the CAR/ STAR method framework.

Ask your Uni careers team about contract jobs ( 6 months) for placement as backup as well as the internship for backup, if by then you already have not secured a placement.

Why not check for more certifications / career opportunities e.g Microsoft fundamentals certificate, Volunteering.

Congratulations :smile:. Hope everything goes well and just give it your best go.
Just check for job requirements e.g First or 2:1 for some placements.

All the best,
Best wishes

Thank you so much for your detailed response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending