The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do with my life missed offer

I'm going insane because I'm pretty sure I missed the lowest possible offer for English UCL gives out (contextual ABB) and I'm so angry at myself - I don't even know how I got in with them having rejected A*A*A* students and I was predicted A*AA with not a single 9/8 in GCSE and this year having given out the most rejections for my subject. I deserve to fail, I peaked at AS then shot down in A2 with laziness and procastination and left studying to a week before. Now I'm going to have to retake the year with the off chance I get A*A*A* and still possibly get rejected. Plus I'm doing an English Degree, if I don't get into a top uni there's no point in me paying that much to do it as most gradutes get into teaching and journalism and my family really needs the money of a high paying job. I do all humanities and it's too late for me to do STEM (high paying degree) and even if I did I'd get rejected due to the immense competition. I don't know what do with my life. What's the point of doing a subject I'm passionate for if I'm paying thousands to be broke and thus sad regardless? I wasted my life and I'm only 17.
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its very normal to get stressed in the middle of A level exams - and to to think you have totally messed things up.
The majority of Year 13s will be feeling equally uncertain and worried at the moment.

Its time to talk to your Head of Sixth or a trusted teacher - things are not as bad as they might seem and talking helps.
Go and see someone tomorrow and share how you are feeling.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Its very normal to get stressed in the middle of A level exams - and to to think you have totally messed things up.
The majority of Year 13s will be feeling equally uncertain and worried at the moment.

Its time to talk to your Head of Sixth or a trusted teacher - things are not as bad as they might seem and talking helps.
Go and see someone tomorrow and share how you are feeling.

Trust me it is. I got BCC in my last mock and now I'm not revising but *learning* the content 3 days before. I know it's 100% my fault but I don't think talking to my Head of Sixth form is gonna help, they'll just tell me to try my best and go through clearing or something. I don't wanna do English if I'm going to a mediocre uni. Thank you though.
Reply 3
Original post by euwni
Trust me it is. I got BCC in my last mock and now I'm not revising but *learning* the content 3 days before. I know it's 100% my fault but I don't think talking to my Head of Sixth form is gonna help, they'll just tell me to try my best and go through clearing or something. I don't wanna do English if I'm going to a mediocre uni. Thank you though.

If you have three days left get off here, stop procrastinating and start revising strategically. Look at past papers, find out which subjects come up repeatedly and start cramming. It is still possible to get those grades so stop wasting time!
Reply 4
Original post by euwni

Why don’t you take a gap year? You could always resit if you’re not happy with your grades
Reply 5
Original post by euwni
I'm going insane because I'm pretty sure I missed the lowest possible offer for English UCL gives out (contextual ABB) and I'm so angry at myself - I don't even know how I got in with them having rejected A*A*A* students and I was predicted A*AA with not a single 9/8 in GCSE and this year having given out the most rejections for my subject. I deserve to fail, I peaked at AS then shot down in A2 with laziness and procastination and left studying to a week before. Now I'm going to have to retake the year with the off chance I get A*A*A* and still possibly get rejected. Plus I'm doing an English Degree, if I don't get into a top uni there's no point in me paying that much to do it as most gradutes get into teaching and journalism and my family really needs the money of a high paying job. I do all humanities and it's too late for me to do STEM (high paying degree) and even if I did I'd get rejected due to the immense competition. I don't know what do with my life. What's the point of doing a subject I'm passionate for if I'm paying thousands to be broke and thus sad regardless? I wasted my life and I'm only 17.

There is such a misconception about what jobs you can do with an English or other humanities degree. I know someone who is a partner at a accountancy firm, and he said some of the best accountants he has recruited over the years have had English degrees. Maths is a tiny part of the job. The most important part is writing reports and good communication skills, which humanities graduates normally flourish at.
Reply 6
Original post by Amethystic
Why don’t you take a gap year? You could always resit if you’re not happy with your grades

I want to! But I don't think I'll get into UCL again especially with my GCSEs (idk if they will ignore it due to contextual offer whatever) and I don't know what to do as I don't see the point of doing an English degree if I'm not going to a top uni.
Reply 7
Original post by lalexm
There is such a misconception about what jobs you can do with an English or other humanities degree. I know someone who is a partner at a accountancy firm, and he said some of the best accountants he has recruited over the years have had English degrees. Maths is a tiny part of the job. The most important part is writing reports and good communication skills, which humanities graduates normally flourish at.

You usually work your way up, no?
Reply 8
Original post by euwni
I want to! But I don't think I'll get into UCL again especially with my GCSEs (idk if they will ignore it due to contextual offer whatever) and I don't know what to do as I don't see the point of doing an English degree if I'm not going to a top uni.

Many people do better than they think in exams. Also, is your insurance choice really that bad, and do you think you would miss that also?
Reply 9
Original post by euwni
You usually work your way up, no?

Yes, but whether you have STEM or humanities makes no difference in most cases. The vast majority of graduate schemes are open to any degree subject.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by lalexm
Many people do better than they think in exams. Also, is your insurance choice really that bad, and do you think you would miss that also?

KCL same offer of ABB, I'm probably gonna get BCC. I went into half of my exams with a single day of revision, honestly I know its futile and I'm just wondering what I can do from there.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by euwni

There will be better unis than UCL for English in clearing -
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
There will be better unis than UCL for English in clearing -

Isn't UCL the best for English in the UK? And top 10/5 in the world. It's my dream uni and I'm adamant on it. Plus I don't think I'll get into a good RG with BCC.
Reply 13
Original post by euwni
Isn't UCL the best for English in the UK? And top 10/5 in the world. It's my dream uni and I'm adamant on it. Plus I don't think I'll get into a good RG with BCC.

Go revise!! Consider your options after the exam. Use every bit of time you have now - you don't know, that could make a huge difference! Good luck :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by euwni
KCL same offer of ABB, I'm probably gonna get BCC. I went into half of my exams with a single day of revision, honestly I know its futile and I'm just wondering what I can do from there.

You will hopefully do better than that, plus unis often still let you in if you just miss your marks. Then there is also clearing, which normally includes most Russell groups unis for humanities subjects. Best of luck.
Reply 15
Thanks, my exam is tomorrow and honestly I just think I want a reason to comfort myself for my inveitable failure.

Original post by arialle
Go revise!! Consider your options after the exam. Use every bit of time you have now - you don't know, that could make a huge difference! Good luck :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by euwni

It's more of a STEM uni - you don'y know what grades you'll get.
Original post by euwni
Thanks, my exam is tomorrow and honestly I just think I want a reason to comfort myself for my inveitable failure.

Bro, countless people miss their firm and insurance on results day. This doesn't mean they've all destroyed their future at all, it just means working with what you have. A resit is completely viable in the case that you don't meet the offer (which I still think you're overreacting about). I'm doing A-levels too, and I have revised for a lot of my exams the day before (including the English Lit exam I did this morning) so it's not a lost cause - it doesn't matter if someone's put months into revision, it depends on how you perform on the day. Good luck for tomorrow, and even if you miss your offer, do your future self a favour and get the best possible grades that you can in the current scenario.
Original post by euwni

Are you doing a degree that includes a research module? If no then Russel Group means nothing. Calm down, sit your exam tomorrow then work out your options once you've got your results
Reply 19
And get off here !! You’ve just procrastinated through an hour of valuable revision time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending