The Student Room Group

What size Doc Martens should I get?

I need a new pair of shoes for 6th Form as my old ones from Deichmans have started separating a bit from the front of the sole which makes my feet damp when it rains. I thought that Doc Martens would be a suitable replacement because then I wouldn't have to waste money on nice looking but crappy shoes every year. I knew they were expensive outright and I normally never ask for anything expensive from my parents, but when I asked my dad, he said no. He then took me to Deichmans again to convince me that there are far better alternatives. I told him I'll find something online thats been used and cheap and he agreed.

For the past 2 weeks, I've been looking at eBay and Vinted and at last, I've found 2 pairs that haven't been sold lol. One is a size 8 which is a bit more battered and one is a size 7 safety shoe which is brand new. They're both at £35 but my question is, for normal school/smart shoes, I'm a size 8. Based on the fact that Doc Martens tend to stretch, should I get the safety shoe which is in better condition, or not?
Reply 1
By the way, the other one is a patent leather 1461 Doc martens, and it has a few creases. If people suggest this is better, how can I get rid of the creases?
Dms don't stretch like that and you actually need to break them in normally...wearing too small dms will be like a form of torture.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Dms don't stretch like that and you actually need to break them in normally...wearing too small dms will be like a form of torture.

So what should I do? Also, I forgot to add that I went in-store once and tried both sizes on. Size 8 was a bit too big and my foot could easily slide out whilst size 7 was a bit tight from the top.

How can you break them in?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 4
Thicker socks and size 8.
Safety shoes normally have a hard toecap.
This could be composite, or steel.
Original post by Rainbow_Lexx
So what should I do? Also, I forgot to add that I went in-store once and tried both sizes on. Size 8 was a bit too big and my foot could easily slide out whilst size 7 was a bit tight from the top.

How can you break them in?

To be fair if they're used they're probably broken in to some extent, it's basically a case of just wearing them routinely and putting up with the blisters and such :redface: They do sell special socks to help with that though in DM stores which are apparently quite good.

In terms of the sizing, getting ones that are too small is really not a good idea because they will always be too small. Getting ones that are a little big you can manage usually lacing more tightly and as above, wearing thick socks.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
To be fair if they're used they're probably broken in to some extent, it's basically a case of just wearing them routinely and putting up with the blisters and such :redface: They do sell special socks to help with that though in DM stores which are apparently quite good.

In terms of the sizing, getting ones that are too small is really not a good idea because they will always be too small. Getting ones that are a little big you can manage usually lacing more tightly and as above, wearing thick socks.

Thanks, and thank you @domonict! I'll try to convince my dad to get me the size 8's but he's a bit funny so he may go with the ones that look better. Here's a pic of the size 8's for your reference.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest