The Student Room Group

Cifas

I got a marker from Barclays that i used false identity and i got a marker at cifas what bank can i open?
Original post by Ervis006
I got a marker from Barclays that i used false identity and i got a marker at cifas what bank can i open?

Probably none. If you search TSR for "CIFAS" you'll find people recommending one bank or another, but you'll also find just as many saying they tried that bank and were turned away.

Banks want trustworthy customers, not those who falsify identify documents.
It's difficult one to answer as Monzo used to be the go-to, but they now use CIFAS markers to make onboarding decisions.

All I can do is recommend looking at previous threads for any mention of smaller banks for customers with bad credit. There may be fees payable though.
Reply 3
You won't be able to have a bank account if you don't have the right documents, let alone a Cifas marker
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
You won't be able to have a bank account if you don't have the right documents, let alone a Cifas marker

I got everything i need soo don’t talk nonsense.
I got everything i need soo don’t talk nonsense.

@Surnia was referring to the fact that you needed to use a false identity previously.
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
@Surnia was referring to the fact that you needed to use a false identity previously.

The thing is that is not true.
The thing is that is not true.

You said earlier that, "I got a marker from Barclays that i used false identity."

Are you saying that Barclays were mistaken and that you didn't use a false identity? If that's the case, you simply need to provide evidence of that fact to Barclays and have them remove the CIFAS marker. :smile:
Yes, it should be pretty easy to evidence that you didn't apply under false details. With the marker removed you can apply anywhere.
Reply 9
Original post by DataVenia
You said earlier that, "I got a marker from Barclays that i used false identity."

Are you saying that Barclays were mistaken and that you didn't use a false identity? If that's the case, you simply need to provide evidence of that fact to Barclays and have them remove the CIFAS marker. :smile:

I did complain to Barclays and i said to them i can prove that but they just made a complain.
Without telling us exactly what happened there isn't any real advice to give other than 'get used to cash for 6 years'

As others have noted there is pretty much no options remaining as the mickey mouse banks like Revolut and Monzo have had to tighten up/join Cifas themselves.
I did complain to Barclays and i said to them i can prove that but they just made a complain.

Did you actually provide them with your proof / evidence? Or did you simply tell that that you could provide it?

If you provide them with evidence and they still refuse to remove the marker, than contact the Financial Ombudsman. I know this seems like a hassle, but it'll be far less hassle than having no bank account for six years.

A couple of recent complains to the Financial Ombudsman about Barclays and CIFAS markers:

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/decision/DRN-3607934.pdf
https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/decision/DRN-2501365.pdf

(In both cases the case was upheld and Barclays were required to remove the CIFAS marker and pay compensation.)
Reply 12

I agree with @DataVenia -- you need to provide Barclays with the evidence that you didn't use a false identity. If Barclays won't remove the marker after that, then complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Life is going to very difficult for you for the next six years if you can't get the Cifas marker removed -- no bank account, no loans, no mortgage. Possibly difficulty obtaining car insurance or home insurance, etc.
Why does Barclays believe youve falsified documents? Accusing you of fraud, they must have evidence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending