The Student Room Group

Maybe I have Cifas marker

I was recently a victim of bank impersonation scam/push authorised payment scam. But I got my money back as my bank paid me for it. However yesterday I applied to buy the new iPhone but I had to apply Barclays for loan. It says they rejected me and they used like credit stuff like equfax(few others ones) and Cifas to gain my information. I did a few research and I think I might have Cifas marker as i was victim of scam. I’m only 19 is there anyone that could help guide through this please
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Thewanabenerd
I was recently a victim of bank impersonation scam/push authorised payment scam. But I got my money back as my bank paid me for it. However yesterday I applied to buy the new iPhone but I had to apply Barclays for loan. It says they rejected me and they used like credit stuff like equfax(few others ones) and Cifas to gain my information. I did a few research and I think I might have Cifas mermaid as o was victim of scam. I’m only 19 is there anyone that could help guide through this please

Do a credit check through a reputable service, like experian etc. You should be able to see if there are any concerns or issues on your credit file.

Greg
Reply 2
I was recently a victim of bank impersonation scam/push authorised payment scam. But I got my money back as my bank paid me for it. However yesterday I applied to buy the new iPhone but I had to apply Barclays for loan. It says they rejected me and they used like credit stuff like equfax(few others ones) and Cifas to gain my information. I did a few research and I think I might have Cifas mermaid as o was victim of scam. I’m only 19 is there anyone that could help guide through this please

Make a Data Subject Access Request to CIFAS. They will produce a report outlining the nature of the markers and the organisations that have requested it.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/dsar
Original post by greg tony
Do a credit check through a reputable service, like experian etc. You should be able to see if there are any concerns or issues on your credit file.

Greg

Hi, do I have to check on all credit score website?
Original post by Surnia
Make a Data Subject Access Request to CIFAS. They will produce a report outlining the nature of the markers and the organisations that have requested it.

Hi, thank you for the reply, I will try
Original post by Surnia

Do this.

Also don’t respond to DM’s offering a service to remove any marker. Report them.
Reply 6
Hi, do I have to check on all credit score website?

No just check on one, they should have similar info. It will also show your whole file, not just the cifas, as it may be due to a lower credit rating (not unusual considering your age) that is preventing the success of the phone contract.
No just check on one, they should have similar info. It will also show your whole file, not just the cifas, as it may be due to a lower credit rating (not unusual considering your age) that is preventing the success of the phone contract.

You won't get any cifas info through a personal credit report, you need to make a subject access request to them directly.
Original post by Admit-One
Do this.

Also don’t respond to DM’s offering a service to remove any marker. Report them.

Ohh ok, thank you for warning, I’m quite naive when it comes to these kinda official document stuff
Original post by StriderHort
You won't get any cifas info through a personal credit report, you need to make a subject access request to them directly.

Ok I’ll try apply for the access request and see if I have any, I’m scared I might have it as I got rejected for phone
Ohh ok, thank you for warning, I’m quite naive when it comes to these kinda official document stuff

No worries. The first step is to find out whether you actually have a marker, or whether it’s something else credit related.

Are you still with your original bank?
Original post by Admit-One
No worries. The first step is to find out whether you actually have a marker, or whether it’s something else credit related.

Are you still with your original bank?

Yea my bank account is still open, I can transfer and use my account
Yea my bank account is still open, I can transfer and use my account

That is a good sign you do not have a cifas marker, they would usually close the account if they had referred you to Cifas
That is a good sign you do not have a cifas marker, they would usually close the account if they had referred you to Cifas

That’s relieving to hear, thank you, I will apply for the Cifas request just incase and do the credit check too 🙏🙏🙏thank you so much for your reply

A victim marker should show on a credit report, which is what i presume the OP is alluding to.
A victim marker should show on a credit report, which is what i presume the OP is alluding to.

I know you get the impersonation markers, but still not sure if they only visible to cifas member checks rather than a 'personal' credit report?

(I assume we're not talking about protective registration, as OP would know about it)
Hello, I would like to double check does cifas cat 6 means all my bank accounts will automatically be closed?
Hello, I would like to double check does cifas cat 6 means all my bank accounts will automatically be closed?

No. Your current bank would make a decision based on what they know about you. But if things were serious enough to give you a marker, it’s likely.

Not automatically no, but it is pretty likely, esp for a cat 6

I got a marker years back (writing bad cheques) and the bank didn't close my account, they just utterly crippled my ability to borrow. (or write cheques :tongue: )
Oh ok because I had a revolut account which I created in the moment when I was scammed and the fraudster convinced me to create a account and transfer some of my money from Santander to there, after I fixed my problem with Santander and got reimbursed, revolut suddenly closed my account, does this mean revolut may have put Cifas marker on me instead of santander

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending