The Student Room Group

Review Appointment at GP

Back in Summer I was suffering from a tight chest and struggling to breath whenever I exercised. So I went to the doctors and did numerous tests and did chest x-rays which where all clear but I was still having the chest issues when I exercised.

I spoke to a friend who said it sounded like exercise induced asthma so I mentioned it to my GP who didn’t really agree but after I asked prescribed me an inhaler. The following day I used it for the first time and the change was instantaneous, I had no issues at all.

Since then I’ve taken it every day I’ve exercised except two. One day I just forgot to take it and the other day my inhaler had run out and both days the chest issues came back.

I put a repeat prescription request in with my doctors earlier this week and I’ve been told I need to attend a review appointment. Is this normal? I don’t want the doctor to say they’re not going to prescribe me any more inhalers as they clearly work.
Yes, a review is normal for most repeat prescriptions because they need to see if the medication is working, if your condition is improving, any negative effects etc
Reply 2
Yes, it's normal. My GP keeps wanting to see me back about a medication I have been on for over 10 years despite me explaining why I'm on it and the tests I've had every single time...

They are not looking to stop prescribing, they are just wanting to check that everything is OK and that there are aren't any more tests you might need to have or potentially other treatments that might be needed.

Quick Reply

Latest