The Student Room Group

Need opinion on bills in a Shared rental agreement

Hi I have recently got out of my second year rental accommodation due to me being severally bullied by my 5 other housemates. Our tenancy started July 1st and I got out of the contract November 23rd. I have spent a total of 5 nights in the property over the 5 month period. I have paid rent and bills in full. A total of £35 a month bills every month has been paid even tho I haven’t used them. My housemates have ran up a £400 bill from the date of 1st nov - 23rd nov and I am now expected to pay £66 for electric and gas usage that I personally haven’t used. I don’t really understand why I’m having to pay for this as it’s due to their threatening and racist behaviour that I wasn’t able to stay in the property and it’s a bit of a kick in the teeth having to pay for their heating when I haven’t been getting the benefits of it. Not really sure where I stand in this situation, advice would be helpful.
Original post by Studentlaw2003
Hi I have recently got out of my second year rental accommodation due to me being severally bullied by my 5 other housemates. Our tenancy started July 1st and I got out of the contract November 23rd. I have spent a total of 5 nights in the property over the 5 month period. I have paid rent and bills in full. A total of £35 a month bills every month has been paid even tho I haven’t used them. My housemates have ran up a £400 bill from the date of 1st nov - 23rd nov and I am now expected to pay £66 for electric and gas usage that I personally haven’t used. I don’t really understand why I’m having to pay for this as it’s due to their threatening and racist behaviour that I wasn’t able to stay in the property and it’s a bit of a kick in the teeth having to pay for their heating when I haven’t been getting the benefits of it. Not really sure where I stand in this situation, advice would be helpful.

Hi @Studentlaw2003

Sorry you're had a rough time with your accommodation. Have you moved out of the shared flat now?

I agree with you that you shouldn't have to pay it, however I understand that it might cause more difficulty if you try and dispute it. Have you spoken to your landlord? I'm guessing you're in a privately owned flat? I know you might pay your bills directly instead of to your landlord, but they may be able to suggest a solution?

I would remain fair but firm when discussing this with your flat mates, especially if you can also prove you weren't living in the flat throughout the month.
I'm sorry I can't offer much more advice, I think this issue is really down to how your flat mates will react to you not paying it. Obviously no one can force you to pay it, but if you have the justification for it, it backs up your reasoning. Might be a silly question and something that you might not want to do, but have you spoken to your flat mates in person about it and explained? You might be able to reason with them better in person?

Hope this helps.
Emily 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending