The Student Room Group

Does it matter if I didn’t study sociology at college?

So I’m pretty sure I want to study Sociology at university but I took english literature, photography and a foreign language at college. I have been out of college for three years but now want to go to university to study sociology. What will make my personal statement stand out and give me a fighting chance? I have read a few sociology books so I know I’m interested, but I’m aware they’re not the best subjects to have studied at college in relation to sociology.
Original post by Jk19071
So I’m pretty sure I want to study Sociology at university but I took english literature, photography and a foreign language at college. I have been out of college for three years but now want to go to university to study sociology. What will make my personal statement stand out and give me a fighting chance? I have read a few sociology books so I know I’m interested, but I’m aware they’re not the best subjects to have studied at college in relation to sociology.

typically you just need an essay based subject and literature is one of the best options for this. just make sure to read the entry requirements carefully and as long as your subjects are eligible to apply then you’ll be fine

eg. bristol just requires an essay based subject which includes literature, ucl just requires subjects from their preferred list which all your subjects come under, and most other unis don’t have any specific subject requirements
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
For most social science degrees you don't need to have studied that subject previously - however remember that you do still have to explain in your PS why you want do do that subject at degree level and provide examples of relevant academic topics that interest you in order to make your PS convincing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending