The Student Room Group

Help with GCSE choices.

Hi,I'm in year 9 and in the future I want to go Cambridge university and study English.At my school, you do double science but can choose to do triple if you want.For my options I'm considering doing history,french and sociology but should I do triple science instead of sociology?
Reply 1
From what I have gathered through applying to Cambridge, the options you choose for GCSE don’t necessarily matter, however grades do sort of, as a lot of the people applying are going to have the best of the best applications. They care more about predicted grades at A level, and the subjects you take then. I applied in October and got rejected sadly, but it was down to the fact I wanted to do a science based degree, with only maths and physics, and no chemistry/ biology. Good luck with it all, and honestly dont stress too much!!!
Original post by Emily136
Hi,I'm in year 9 and in the future I want to go Cambridge university and study English.At my school, you do double science but can choose to do triple if you want.For my options I'm considering doing history,french and sociology but should I do triple science instead of sociology?

Hi, I'm in year 9 too and I had a tough time picking options as well - but if there's one thing you should know, it's the grades that matter more than the subjects you do!
English is an essay based subject - so doing sociology and history will 100% give you that push. If you aren't planning on pursuing science (and if it's not that interesting for you) then don't do triple science, because it's not really related to what you want to do, and universities don't really care if you did triple or double science - unless if of course you're going into the science field.
You have a good mix of subjects, so don't worry if it's too academic or not academic - at this stage not many people would've worked out their careers, but you have a good ambition so keep at it.
As long as you enjoy sociology and are introduced well to the format you will do fine!
I hope that helps and good luck!
Original post by Emily136

Hi @Emily136,

I would personally suggest choosing the subjects you enjoy the most, as you’ll be studying them for a while for your GCSEs.
I did triple science myself and it is a lot of work to fit in all three sciences, but I would recommend it if you like a challenge.

I would think about whether you would enjoy Sociology or Triple Science the most, especially as you can re-evaluate your subjects for A Level or college, before applying to university if you want to change your mind later.
Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at Birmingham City University

Quick Reply

Latest