The Student Room Group

Homesick/Struggling at uni in 3rd Year?

In my second year of uni, I enjoy the course content and am doing well but the uni's environment itself depresses me and I've been struggling a lot over the past year with attending lectures. Sometimes I still get really bad bouts of homesickness and I just don't really like the uni environment, it's not terrible, it's decent and it definitely could be worse, but I just haven't seemed to click with it 100%. Thankfully my course is still good and I'm trying to push myself to go to more lectures because I know I'm capable and want to get a 1st (or at least high 2:1) so I can apply for my masters at the uni I initally wanted to go to & closer to home. It's not all bad and I don't hate it entirely especially as the content is enjoyable but I know I'd be happier closer to home. Does anyone else still struggle with homesickness or anything like it at uni in third year/have any advice for coping with it?
Original post by strangledleaf
In my second year of uni, I enjoy the course content and am doing well but the uni's environment itself depresses me and I've been struggling a lot over the past year with attending lectures. Sometimes I still get really bad bouts of homesickness and I just don't really like the uni environment, it's not terrible, it's decent and it definitely could be worse, but I just haven't seemed to click with it 100%. Thankfully my course is still good and I'm trying to push myself to go to more lectures because I know I'm capable and want to get a 1st (or at least high 2:1) so I can apply for my masters at the uni I initally wanted to go to & closer to home. It's not all bad and I don't hate it entirely especially as the content is enjoyable but I know I'd be happier closer to home. Does anyone else still struggle with homesickness or anything like it at uni in third year/have any advice for coping with it?

Hi there

I am a final year student, and I think it is totally normal to feel homesick during University. This does not just apply to first year, I also get homesick in third year too, you are not alone. :smile:

It is good that you continue to attend lectures, and it is amazing that you are motivated to get a 1st, keep it up! Even if you are unable to attend lectures, it will be really good just to have a look at the lecture slides or recordings (if available).

I know that environment can make a massive impact on how you feel, for myself I found that going to public areas to study or relax helped me keep my focus (instead of sitting in my room procrastinating). I find that concentrating on completing tasks (work, study, hobbies takes my mind off negative thoughts). :smile: For homesickness, ensure that you stay in touch with your family. I enjoy calling my family every 2 or 3 days (you do not have to do this so frequently, or you can do it more frequently- really up to you!)

Hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hey!

I completely understand where you're coming from, and it's not uncommon for students to experience homesickness, especially in the second year when the initial excitement may have worn off a bit. It's fantastic that you're enjoying your course content and performing well academically despite these challenges.

Firstly, you're not alone in feeling this way. Many students, even in their third year, grapple with homesickness or a sense of not fully connecting with their university environment. It's essential to acknowledge these feelings and give yourself some credit for pushing through despite the struggles.

Here are a few tips that might help you cope:

Build a Support System: Surround yourself with friends and peers who share similar feelings. Attend student events, join clubs, or engage in activities that interest you. Creating a support system within your university can make a significant difference.

Explore the Local Community: Sometimes, homesickness can be tied to feeling disconnected from the local environment. Take the time to explore the city or town where your university is located. Find places that resonate with you and make you feel more at home.

Stay Connected with Home: Technology makes it easier than ever to stay in touch with family and friends. Regular video calls, messages, or even planning visits when possible can help bridge the gap between your university life and home.

Seek Counseling Services: Most universities offer counseling services to students. Speaking with a professional can provide valuable insights and coping strategies. They can help you navigate your feelings and work towards a more positive mindset.

Plan Breaks or Weekends at Home: If feasible, plan short breaks or weekends at home. The change of scenery and time with loved ones can be rejuvenating and help you recharge for your academic responsibilities.

Focus on Personal Well-being: Take care of your physical and mental well-being. Ensure you're getting enough sleep, eating well, and engaging in activities that bring you joy. Sometimes, addressing basic needs can significantly impact your overall happiness.

Remember, it's okay to feel this way, and seeking support is a sign of strength, not weakness. If you ever need someone to talk to or want more information about available resources, feel free to reach out. You're not alone in this journey.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Student Ambassador
University of Southampton

Hey @strangledleaf, I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with feeling homesick, it's so common for students to feel this way. For me personally I lived at home and my commute to university was very short so I didn't feel this way, but I'd still like to try and offer you some advice. What is great to hear though is that you're enjoying your course, and you're aiming to achieve that First or high 2:1 that you wanted, this is fab!! 🙂

Can I ask how you've found making friends? As I'm sure you'll meet other students who feel the same way, and just having a familiar face around campus can make a huge difference. To meet new people, and to also keep yourself busy and try keep the homesickness at bay, you could join a club or society, get involved with volunteering, become a student ambassador, attend any student union trips or university events/workshops! Just keeping yourself busy, and ensuring you have a good work life balance too.

Can you bring some home comforts to your accommodation? Your favourite things from back home like photo albums, fave snacks, a cozy blanket for example, just little things that can help you feel more at home. Also keeping in regular contact with your friends and family, and planning things to look forward to when you come home. I know that always helps me when I make plans in advance and it really helps me get through tough tasks.

You said you don't like the uni environment, does this include the city too? Can you try scope out a nice cafe or park to try make the area feel more like home? Then you can incorporate these places into your routine, the cafe could become a great study spot, a place to meet with friends, or go for a walk to clear your mind in the park. It's so important to take care of your mental health and well-being, so hopefully taking small steps like these will help with the way you're currently feeling. And remember it's only temporary feelings, you've got this!!

Good luck with the rest of your university journey, keep aiming for those goals.

Becky

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still struggling but I've had similar experiences and feelings with being in my third year. I also haven't 100% clicked and don't always feel settled in Cardiff, despite being here so long. Though, I'm also not looking forward to leaving. Overall, what has helped the most is exploring more of the city and the local community. This has helped make me feel more connected to where I am and enjoy my time in Cardiff more, and consequentially, at university. I'd say to find some things that you really enjoy and schedule them into your routine to build a routine that you're happy with.

In addition, I think that it's important to be nice to yourself and lower your expectations. We have so many images in mind of what university should be like and when it doesn't live up to that, we can struggle. This is totally understandable.

I hope that makes sense.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi, It's great that you're enjoying your course and aiming for a first and want to do your masters. Feeling homesick is a completely normal feeling and sometimes I still get it in my final year too, so you're completely not alone and there's so many things that can help!

Make an effort to stay connected to your friends and family back home via face time, messaging, scheduled meet ups and even plan trips home to keep yourself energised. It's also important to do things for your mental health like going for walks, spending time in nature, as well as exploring new things like joining societies to build a community at uni and make plans with your uni friends to help keep yourself busy. There's also loads of support at uni like Student Advice and Wellbeing centres, your personal tutors, councillors and peer mentors.

Hope this helps!
Z
UG Arabic & IR

Hey @strangledleaf,

It can be so difficult to settle into a new place, and takes people a long time to feel 'at home' in their new environment, but it's so great to hear you're enjoying your course. That's the main thing at university. But in terms of feeling happier there, have you looked into what Communities and Societies your uni has? Sometimes finding likeminded people can help you to feel less alone and realise that actually some people out there are feeling just the same as you.

As a lot of the other university pages are saying, building a network around you and seeking advice from your university's support teams can help you to feel less alone.

Sending you happy thoughts and all the best for getting that 1st! You can achieve anything you set your mind to 😊

Best wishes,
~ Amelia - University of Plymouth

Hi,
First of all i'm sorry you are feeling this way.
My first piece of encouragement would be that you are so close to the end of your degree that you can start getting excited to move closer to home! I know it can sound redundant but try to focus on the good, it sounds like you're doing amazing in your classes! If its the university itself that is making you feel down, maybe find a fun study spot off campus where you feel comfortable, and when you have to go on campus for lectures and seminars focus on how good it will feel to graduate and more on to a place where you feel more at home.

Hope this helps, Faye :smile:

Hi there,

I know lots of people who struggle with homesickness all the way through their years at university, it can be really difficult. I think it is important to realise that while you can really enjoy university there is always parts of home that you can't replicate at uni, your family and friends for example. I think it is important to join societies and try to enjoy your time at uni even though it's not home.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
University of Sunderland

Hey there,

firstly I'm sorry to hear you are still struggling with homesickness, from personal experience I know how hard it can be. Being away from home is more challenging for some than others so here are a few things I like to do.

Establish a routine
Now this may sound silly and rather simplistic but trust me on this one. I find it really difficult to keep on top of the different aspects of my life when I'm overwhelmed with homesickness. I don't feel like going out, I don't want to do my work, etc. . I have found that keeping myself busy through a consistent routine has really helped me settle into university life. Even if its as simple as getting up and out around the same each morning.

Home comforts
Bring stuff with you that reminds you of home. As an international student there are some foods typical to my country that aren't available over here. So, whenever I go home in between terms I make sure to stock up. This way i can incorporate aspects of my home life into my cooking. On top of this I own some silly knickknacks that also remind me of home. Be it pictures of my cats that I put up or my wooden Swiss cow. They're only small things but they make me feel closer to home.

Don't isolate yourself / you can go home
Every person's situation is unique but I have a tendency to contact my family less and less the more homesick I am. However, this really doesn't help the situation and I've found that making the effort to call home frequently makes me feel less isolated from those I love. On that topic, it's ok to go home. Now, I don't mean move back for an entire term, but going home for a weekend every once in a while might help. Again, this doesn't work for everyone, but I find a weekend at home can leave me feeling a lot better when I return to university again.

I know how hard it can be to be away from your home and those you love, but you are not the only one. Homesickness isn't limited to your first year and even the best of us have experienced it in one form or another. Reach out to your friends, let them know what's up so they can help you. You've got this, so stay strong.

Aimée (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Hello,

My name is Haya and I am a final year medical student. I am also an international student so I can honestly say I have struggled a lot with homelessness.

I think one of my best advice would be to try to create activities or events that you look forward to, and they are sort of like a reward mechanism for you. For example, try to motivate yourself to complete uni work and maybe visit your hometown, go see a movie, or even visit some old friends.

I also like to watch sitcoms on a daily to sort of keep me occupied!

Best of luck,
Haya- MBBS 5

Hi there!

This is completely normal and everyone feels a little homesick sometimes so try not to worry!

I would say keeping busy (like you're already doing!) as it really helps to keep your mind off things. I find going to the library to do my work really helps as it means I can separate uni work from my house a bit - it makes going home much more relaxing!

Having a support network at uni is super helpful and making plans with friends is great for giving you something to look forward to!

I hope this helps,
Rebecca - UCLan

Hi,

Being homesick is a completely normal feeling and one I still suffer from in 3rd-year but there are little steps you can take to ease it and help you settle in at university a little more.

Trying to get to know your flatmates will help with the lonely feeling as it's always nice knowing that the people at the end of the hall are there to support you when you're having a bad day.

Joining some societies or clubs will also be a means of reducing homesickness as if you've something to look forward to it will hopefully make you feel a little less home-sick.

Having the motivation of getting a 1st or 2:1 is a great thing as at the end of the day you want to do your best to help you progress in your future career. Keep pushing yourself to achieve more and before you know it, you'll be graduating.

I hope this is of some assistance,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd-year children's Nursing

Hello!

Firstly, I wanted to say, go you for making it into second year of university, you are halfway through, keep going, it will be worth it in the end.

It is so normal to get home sickness, even in your second year. I am a third year student and still cry talking to my siblings because I miss them that much. One thing that helps me with home sickness is normalising my day to day, by socialising with friends, getting up for my lecture (even on days I don't feel like it) and going to my societies. This helps keep my mind at bay, and also regular check ins with family over the phone helps.

Please keep going, for your lectures, even if you do not go in, make sure to keep up to date with notes, ask your friends, or go to a public café and work from their. I find that public spaces help me work. You have 1 more year to battle out, you have come this far, know that you are in this course for a reason.. time will fly by. You got this!

All the best,
Hassa, Liverpool Hope University Ambassador

Hi there,

Having bouts of homesickness is definitely a normal thing to experience while at university, as an international student myself, I especially identify with that. It is good that you have not allowed this to affect your perspective while at uni, and still manage to maintain good grades, it is not easy.
in my experience, the best way I dealt with the homesickness was first, decorating my room with things that remind me of home, such as pictures of my friends and family, my pets and so on. I also managed to bring trinkets and certain things that are linked to my home like my country's flag.

Second, I also found that cooking food that reminded me of home made me feel a lot more connected with my home. this can also help you with maintaining a healthy diet as the food would be homecooked.

Lastly, I tried to find friends who were from my background or hometown, this can make a significant difference if you are far away from home as you said, chances are others are also far away from home from your hometown and would also benefit from having some form of connection with people from back home. If your uni has an open forum where you can try reaching out to people, I suggest you make use of this.

Additionally, I think it is important to see this time in your life as a way to explore and experience different things you would not have been able to do where you are from. this is something I have adopted myself and I found that it has significantly hanged my outlook on things. It may be challenging at first, but university is also about experiencing new life challenges not just academic ones.

Best Wishes,

Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Glory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending