The Student Room Group

Uni of nottingham vs Uni of reading

Hi all, I firmed uni of notts and pre-booked accommodation and everything but I can’t help but think that I should’ve gone reading as it’s closer to home. Uni of reading is closer to home and I know i’ll be really homesick if i go notts.I’m not the type to party either, I’d rather be with family. My heart hurts to even think about it. I didn’t want to move out but I didn’t get into any london unis. I’m also really worried about the student debt as i’ll be taking 9k out for 4 years on top of 9.2k tuition fee loans every year which i’ll have to pay for 40 years of my life . Should I bite the bullet and go notts or go to reading. I’m doing pharmacy so i’ll still be a qualified pharmacist at the end of the day. I’m just so stuck and feel depressed i can’t even study
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all, I firmed uni of notts and pre-booked accommodation and everything but I can’t help but think that I should’ve gone reading as it’s closer to home. Uni of reading is closer to home and I know i’ll be really homesick if i go notts.I’m not the type to party either, I’d rather be with family. My heart hurts to even think about it. I didn’t want to move out but I didn’t get into any london unis. I’m also really worried about the student debt as i’ll be taking 9k out for 4 years on top of 9.2k tuition fee loans every year which i’ll have to pay for 40 years of my life . Should I bite the bullet and go notts or go to reading. I’m doing pharmacy so i’ll still be a qualified pharmacist at the end of the day. I’m just so stuck and feel depressed i can’t even study

Treat it as a learning experience.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Treat it as a learning experience.

how so?
how so?

Learn to live away from home.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Learn to live away from home.

but I can do that when i’m older anyway :frown: what’s the rush now
but I can do that when i’m older anyway :frown: what’s the rush now

No rush as such. But would you actually do it later in your life???
Reply 6
i live in Nottinghamshire and the city is great, theres plenty to do here thats not club orientated. That said, no matter what uni you go to theres always going to be people who not up for the party scene all the time, so you will find your own people. There is a train that does Nottingham to St Pancras so you will always have that link to London. The homesickness is totally natural, and the worry of student debt it going to happen at any uni.

I think if its making you feel that depressed, then take a gap year and re apply next year once you have your results. Maybe even try the london unis again in next years application.

Firstly i am an alumnus of UoN so inevitably am biased.

but a few things to consider:
- the debt, if you have no debt versus debt it’s one decision but 1x debt versus 2x debt will realistically make little financial difference as the repayment works more like a grad tax rather then a traditional fixed+RPI repayment. You’ll end up paying the same amount back unless you earn enough to clear the debt (at which point you’ll be doing very well financially)
-Nottingham is for pharmacy one of the best in the world, should you in 3 or 4 years decide you want to pursue pharma research or similar Notts will have more funding and opportunities (GSK & Boots among others have big footprints at UoN)

Notts is (imo) in a slightly different league to Reading reputation wise, and we have a beautiful campus.

Ultimately you need to decide what is important to you, both are great universities and you’ll be fine at either. Only you can decide the value and comfort of home & family. Although id argue moving away from your comfort zone can also be a positive if you embrace the opportunity it provides.
Reply 8
Original post by Ghostlady
i live in Nottinghamshire and the city is great, theres plenty to do here thats not club orientated. That said, no matter what uni you go to theres always going to be people who not up for the party scene all the time, so you will find your own people. There is a train that does Nottingham to St Pancras so you will always have that link to London. The homesickness is totally natural, and the worry of student debt it going to happen at any uni.

I think if its making you feel that depressed, then take a gap year and re apply next year once you have your results. Maybe even try the london unis again in next years application.

I’m on my gap year right now! But thanks for the advice, much appreciated
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
Firstly i am an alumnus of UoN so inevitably am biased.

but a few things to consider:
- the debt, if you have no debt versus debt it’s one decision but 1x debt versus 2x debt will realistically make little financial difference as the repayment works more like a grad tax rather then a traditional fixed+RPI repayment. You’ll end up paying the same amount back unless you earn enough to clear the debt (at which point you’ll be doing very well financially)
-Nottingham is for pharmacy one of the best in the world, should you in 3 or 4 years decide you want to pursue pharma research or similar Notts will have more funding and opportunities (GSK & Boots among others have big footprints at UoN)

Notts is (imo) in a slightly different league to Reading reputation wise, and we have a beautiful campus.

Ultimately you need to decide what is important to you, both are great universities and you’ll be fine at either. Only you can decide the value and comfort of home & family. Although id argue moving away from your comfort zone can also be a positive if you embrace the opportunity it provides.

Thanks for the advice, Notts sounds sooo good I’m just a homebody I guess lol. I think Ill firm it and move out as much as Ill miss home
Thanks for the advice, Notts sounds sooo good I’m just a homebody I guess lol. I think Ill firm it and move out as much as Ill miss home

Notts is great & im sure you’ll have a fabulous 4 years, you’ll probably be very nervous about moving out (everyone is) but embrace it as an opportunity and focus on the exciting aspects.
Reply 11

My eldest shes at Lancaster 2 and a half hours away by car. One of the the things she did was purposely made herself busy for the first two weeks. She had very little contact with us, I think we only had one text asking where I packed the batteries for her fairy lights. It was 2020 restrictions back then, so she made sure she went to the societies fair, did all the freshers activies that they put on, made sure she did a clothes wash, went out to Lancaster city centre with her flat mates a couple of times, and she went to the club (tables of 6 back then). The flat got together and chipped in with a projector so they could play movies or play games on big screen in the kitchen. And they had a themed party night once a week, simply because of the restrictions they could not mingle flats.
So although it was an unusual situation, by keeping herself busy, she didnt really have much time to miss us. Plus she dressed her room how she wanted it that made her feel happy and welcoming.
Another thing she did was join fb group of the universities freshers group, and before starting she joined her subject group on social media, this helped her make friends prior to joining, and they used to go on walks, and drinks outside.
By the time she facetimes us it was a couple of weeks in, and knowing that 3 weeks later we was down for a visit for half way point through first term gave her something to look forward to.
Shes a third year now. She sometimes comes to us via train for a long weekend half way through term, or we visit her and treat her to lunch, and walk round the local beauty spots. Those visits and facetiming once or twice a week keeps that link between her and us so shes never really had that chance to feel homesick much, plus it puts it into a routine which she likes. And it breaks the term up.
She very rarely goes clubbing, I think shes been once this year. She likes her pub quiz friendship group (meet every monday and thursday evening) and her subject group of friends (who she sees weekend for game/movie nights).
By the time she got to about 3rd week of first year, the work started coming in and deadlines, so the clubby nights do die down and everyone ends up in their own routine, plus friendship groups are changing and you end up finding your own people.

So best advice I can give is to keep busy for first couple of weeks, get yourself out there meeting new people and new societies, visit the city and get used to your surroundings and create a little routine for yourself from lectures/societies/going out. That way you will feel like you are the one thats in control of life and give you a bit of confidence living away.

ps if you do end up at Reading, my youngest fingers crossed is going there :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending