The Student Room Group

A Level Choices Advice

Hi everyone!

I’m in Year 11 right now and I’m choosing my A Levels but I’m super undecided on what I should pick. I want to be a lawyer when I’m older so I was planning on choosing History, Sociology and Politics. I’ve only done history out of the three but they all seem very interesting and I feel as If I would enjoy it.

However, I currently do textiles GCSE and I was planning on maybe dropping Sociology and replacing it with Textiles so I would do History, Politics and Textiles.

What I’m basically trying to ask is if the subjects you choose for a levels really matter when you’re applying for unis. I have really high predicted grades in all my subjects so I’m more so asking when it comes to oxbridge and other Russell group unis. Would textiles be seen as a weaker subject and do you think sociology would be the better choice?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by 6minata
Hi everyone!

I’m in Year 11 right now and I’m choosing my A Levels but I’m super undecided on what I should pick. I want to be a lawyer when I’m older so I was planning on choosing History, Sociology and Politics. I’ve only done history out of the three but they all seem very interesting and I feel as If I would enjoy it.

However, I currently do textiles GCSE and I was planning on maybe dropping Sociology and replacing it with Textiles so I would do History, Politics and Textiles.

What I’m basically trying to ask is if the subjects you choose for a levels really matter when you’re applying for unis. I have really high predicted grades in all my subjects so I’m more so asking when it comes to oxbridge and other Russell group unis. Would textiles be seen as a weaker subject and do you think sociology would be the better choice?

No you can pick any subjects you like some schools such as ucl have a preferred subjects list so you can check that out maybe check some uni website requirements for schools you potentially would like to go to but for law any 3 subjects should be fine just need high grades.
Original post by 6minata
Hi everyone!

Hi there

In general I think a law degree accepts any combination of subjects (however, this will be different for other degrees). But for law, History, Politics and Textiles should be fine.

I would recommend choosing subjects that you are likely to achieve high grades in, as this would increase your chances of entering the higher ranked Universities.

Whilst textiles is not an essay based subject, I do not think it would be seen as weaker if you achieve high grades. It is also possible to demonstrate your interest in law through work experience, volunteering and other events.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by 6minata
Hi everyone!

Hi @6minata

It is impossible to truly say what other universities look for or require (bar what they publicise) when it comes to what A Levels they like people to have, but I would say that the majority of institutions do not mind which subjects you do. Most subjects have some form of transferrable skills which will benefit you in a law degree and, therefore, will be deemed as useful when making your applications even if they do not seem to be directly linked to law. At the end of the day, good grades are needed for law and, therefore, it is important you study subjects that you enjoy as this gives you the best chance of doing well and meeting your full potential 🙂

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest