The Student Room Group

literally hate my housemate

hey. i am in a shared house for uni, i didn't want to move in the shared house as i knew id hate it with some noise but i couldn't afford a studio and didn't think it would be as bad as it is tbh.

the girl in the room below me is the massive issue, i'm unsure why she's even in the house as she isn't a student - is this even allowed (its 100% student accom by a student lettings agent)???. but anyway, she gets up early in the morning about 6.30am and bangs around which wakes me up everyday which is annoying but i can deal with that if i have to, its in the evening its worst as shes constantly on the phone talking or playing music loudly and also now keeps having people round to sleep over which they make even more noise as all the talking and laughing etc until late at night and even during the night. this is really making me angry now and making me really unhappy everytime i am at home i hate her so so much and find it impossible to relax with her here or be able to focus on uni work as i can just hear her and whoever talking all the time. also i dont really feel comfortable with her keep having these strangers in the house i am living in...
i have sent polite messages on occasion asking her to be quiet/use headphones but she just continues to be completely inconsiderate and i dont want to be rude and a pest and have to message her every single night either, but i have had to send her a lot of messages recently and just feel like she doesn't care tbh. i really dont know where to go from here as i am not really able to move out until June because i am stuck in a contract, but i genuinely cannot stay here with this ongoing for another 7 months, does anyone have any advice on this and how to stop myself getting so affected by it all ? suggestions on how to leave a student house contract early or anything ?

also i have read through our contract and it actually says in it that we are not allowed visitors in the house overnight so would i be able to bring this up to the landlord would they do something about it?

thanks !
Reply 1
i’d 100% report it to your landlord!!
Original post by insatiable-compe
hey. i am in a shared house for uni, i didn't want to move in the shared house as i knew id hate it with some noise but i couldn't afford a studio and didn't think it would be as bad as it is tbh.

the girl in the room below me is the massive issue, i'm unsure why she's even in the house as she isn't a student - is this even allowed (its 100% student accom by a student lettings agent)???. but anyway, she gets up early in the morning about 6.30am and bangs around which wakes me up everyday which is annoying but i can deal with that if i have to, its in the evening its worst as shes constantly on the phone talking or playing music loudly and also now keeps having people round to sleep over which they make even more noise as all the talking and laughing etc until late at night and even during the night. this is really making me angry now and making me really unhappy everytime i am at home i hate her so so much and find it impossible to relax with her here or be able to focus on uni work as i can just hear her and whoever talking all the time. also i dont really feel comfortable with her keep having these strangers in the house i am living in...
i have sent polite messages on occasion asking her to be quiet/use headphones but she just continues to be completely inconsiderate and i dont want to be rude and a pest and have to message her every single night either, but i have had to send her a lot of messages recently and just feel like she doesn't care tbh. i really dont know where to go from here as i am not really able to move out until June because i am stuck in a contract, but i genuinely cannot stay here with this ongoing for another 7 months, does anyone have any advice on this and how to stop myself getting so affected by it all ? suggestions on how to leave a student house contract early or anything ?

also i have read through our contract and it actually says in it that we are not allowed visitors in the house overnight so would i be able to bring this up to the landlord would they do something about it?

thanks !
Hi there,

I'm so sorry you are having a rough time with your house mate. Have you tried talking to her in person rather than just messaging her and tell her how you are feeling? This might help her to understand exactly how it is making you feel and how you are being affected. I would also suggest talking to the university accommodation team about it as they might be able to give you some guidance and advice on how to navigate the situation that you are in and help you sort it out.
It might even be worth speaking to your university wellbeing team or your academic tutors as well so they know what is going on and may even be able to put some plans in place to help you navigate your way through the rest of the year.

Hope hope this helps and gets sorted soon 😊

Katie - Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending