The Student Room Group

Is it worth staying in halls for 2 days a week?

I’m currently staying in accommodation on campus at my uni but my timetable for next term is only Mon and Tues. Personally, I don’t see the point in me paying rent for two days a week so was thinking of moving back home next term and commuting (maybe getting a hotel some weeks when I’m too tired). However, after getting some advice from others some have agreed but also said it may just be too long. Looking for some advice :smile:
Original post by Shaylah01
I’m currently staying in accommodation on campus at my uni but my timetable for next term is only Mon and Tues. Personally, I don’t see the point in me paying rent for two days a week so was thinking of moving back home next term and commuting (maybe getting a hotel some weeks when I’m too tired). However, after getting some advice from others some have agreed but also said it may just be too long. Looking for some advice :smile:

@Shaylah01

Even if you are only in for two days a week next term, there might be a lot of work that you have to do outside of that time. For that reason, it might be easier to be on campus where you can easily access the library, meet up with other students ( for example, if you have to do group work) and to attend any societies that you may have joined.

If you move back, you would still have to pay for your university accommodation, and you would then have additional costs for transport, so I think it makes sense to stay where you are.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
I'd stay in halls as University of Huddersfield said there might be a lot of work that you have to do outside of that time. I had 2 day a week in my 3rd year but I was forever popping in for some reason or another.

Hi @Shaylah01 ,

It depends whether you would be able to find somebody to take over your tenancy, and if you would be allowed to do this.
If you can't do this, then you may as well stay during the week and then maybe just go home at the weekend?

If you can, then it really depends on whether you think you would miss living at uni. If you are the kind of person who likes going on nights out, this could be tricky as you would have nowhere to stay, unless you have friends to stay with. You may also have a lot of work to do and find it easier to do it at uni?

Having said this, you would save a lot of money commuting (providing it's not too far away) as you won't be paying rent. You could also get a part time job for the days you aren't in uni and this would allow you to save more money.

It really depends on how far away you live from your uni. If you've had a long day and don't feel like driving back or getting on the train, this will cost you money in hotels so it depends how often you think you will feel like this.

I hope this helps!
Lucy -SHU student ambassador

Hi there

I think whether you move out really depends on your situation.

Although you only have classes on Monday and Tuesday, you may need to be more campus for more than two days, maybe for socials or different networking events. Personally, I find it helpful studying at the library rather than at home, so these are things that you may like to consider.

However, I do know friends that live off campus and commute, it is perfectly possible, and it does work well for most of them. I think it is important to consider whether transportation costs will be affordable, and whether train strikes or other delays may impact your studies. So make sure you weigh up your personal situation before making the decision.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending