The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Ask a Swansea University Student!

Hi!

Have you applied or are thinking of applying to Swansea? Do you have questions about the university that you wanted to ask but couldn’t as the open day was cancelled?
Well your in the right place! I’m a current undergraduate student at Swansea and am happy to try and answer any questions you may have.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
I have a question about the social work class each week, please. Do you attend university for 5 days a week? what is the time table please if ok to ask. Thank you
Original post by KGB2020
I have a question about the social work class each week, please. Do you attend university for 5 days a week? what is the time table please if ok to ask. Thank you

Hi.
I don’t take social work as my degree so I can’t comment on what their timetable is like.
My course 1st semester was 3 days a weeks and this semester it was 2 days a week (I’m full time). My course is mostly reading based but I have friends who are on more hands on courses who are in 5 days a weeks. How many days a week that you are in really depends on your course structure.
It’s likely though that you’ll have lots of gaps between your lectures so if you are in 5 days a week it’s unlikely to be 9am-5pm everyday, although there are no lectures on a Wednesday afternoon across the whole university.
I'm at Swansea Uni too, studying in the Classics department if anyone has any questions :smile:

@KGB2020 I don't take that degree, but I'm in 5 days a week. Usually only 2 or 3 classes a day at most though. I do 3 modules each term, and most of them have 3 hour long lectures each week. Languages have 4 slots, and sometimes a module will have an extra 1 or 2 hour long seminar on top. So it averages out 12 hours a week. But I know some people in the medical subjects are in 9-5 pretty much everyday.
Reply 5
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Hi.
I don’t take social work as my degree so I can’t comment on what their timetable is like.
My course 1st semester was 3 days a weeks and this semester it was 2 days a week (I’m full time). My course is mostly reading based but I have friends who are on more hands on courses who are in 5 days a weeks. How many days a week that you are in really depends on your course structure.
It’s likely though that you’ll have lots of gaps between your lectures so if you are in 5 days a week it’s unlikely to be 9am-5pm everyday, although there are no lectures on a Wednesday afternoon across the whole university.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Lizzillo
I'm at Swansea Uni too, studying in the Classics department if anyone has any questions :smile:

@KGB2020 I don't take that degree, but I'm in 5 days a week. Usually only 2 or 3 classes a day at most though. I do 3 modules each term, and most of them have 3 hour long lectures each week. Languages have 4 slots, and sometimes a module will have an extra 1 or 2 hour long seminar on top. So it averages out 12 hours a week. But I know some people in the medical subjects are in 9-5 pretty much everyday.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Just received offer today and wanted to ask if theres any Applied medical science student here? Thanks
Hi!

Have you applied or are thing of applying to Swansea? Do you have questions about the university that you wanted to ask but couldn’t as the open day was cancelled?
Well your in the right place! I’m a current undergraduate student at Swansea and am happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

I was wondering do you think it would be best if I moved onto Singleton campus for my course or should I travel from home?
Original post by nicole138xx
I was wondering do you think it would be best if I moved onto Singleton campus for my course or should I travel from home?

Personally I’d suggest that you move into halls for first year as it’s a great way to meet new people and really settle into uni life. Since you will be so close to home you could always go home at the weekend if you find halls difficult, and I know a girl who did this and she said she was so pleased she did halls first year but is looking forward to moving back home for second year.
Personally I’d suggest that you move into halls for first year as it’s a great way to meet new people and really settle into uni life. Since you will be so close to home you could always go home at the weekend if you find halls difficult, and I know a girl who did this and she said she was so pleased she did halls first year but is looking forward to moving back home for second year.

I am seriously considering going halls for my first year but only want to stay home because this is where my boyfriend is and I wouldn’t be able to see him on the weekends as he works Friday through till Monday.
Original post by nicole138xx
I am seriously considering going halls for my first year but only want to stay home because this is where my boyfriend is and I wouldn’t be able to see him on the weekends as he works Friday through till Monday.

He’d be able to visit and stay at halls with you occasionally during the week if you’d like, and you could always go home during the week instead of at the weekend.
Reply 12
has anybody done Foundation in Applied Medical Sciences? or Currently a student? just want to ask what sort of timetable you have each week, how many class per week and time, please? I just wanted to get an idea. Thanks very much
Original post by KGB2020
has anybody done Foundation in Applied Medical Sciences? or Currently a student? just want to ask what sort of timetable you have each week, how many class per week and time, please? I just wanted to get an idea. Thanks very much

Hi. Timetables vary massively between subjects so I really can’t give you any sort of idea about what to expect for your course. I take psychology and this semester I was in for two days for 6 hours a week and last semester I was in for 3 days and 9 hours. My flatmates does engineering and she does 5 days and around 20hours a week.
Class wise again is varies depending on your modules credit weight. My modules are all 20 credits so I have very few classes whereas some of my flat mates have modules that are 5 or 10 credits so they have more classes. The majority of lectures/workshops/seminars/labs last 45/50minutes or 1 hour 45/50minutes.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Hi. Timetables vary massively between subjects so I really can’t give you any sort of idea about what to expect for your course. I take psychology and this semester I was in for two days for 6 hours a week and last semester I was in for 3 days and 9 hours. My flatmates does engineering and she does 5 days and around 20hours a week.
Class wise again is varies depending on your modules credit weight. My modules are all 20 credits so I have very few classes whereas some of my flat mates have modules that are 5 or 10 modules so they have more classes. The majority of lectures/workshops/seminars/labs last 45/50minutes or 1 hour 45/50minutes.

Thanks that give me a bit of an idea. :-)
Hi, Ive been looking into accomodation and have noticed that student roost keeps coming up - is this a popular choice for first year students or do most people choose to stay on campus??
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, Ive been looking into accomodation and have noticed that student roost keeps coming up - is this a popular choice for first year students or do most people choose to stay on campus??

I live next to one of their properties. It's hit and miss. Some first years love them and others wish they hadn't lived there. Its sometimes very much international students that stay there,but I know 3 British first years that stay there. They enjoy it but says its a bit far out and for the price they wished they'd used campus accomodation, and for 2nd year they are moving in student private housing by the uni. Most first years stay on campus unless they couldn't get accommodation (applied late, clearing etc), it seems Student Roost is usually the back up plan rather than first choice, in my department anyway.

It's up to you and what you find important in accommodation - location, ensuite, modern/new, cost. If it suits you and you like it, go for it!
Original post by Lizzillo
I live next to one of their properties. It's hit and miss. Some first years love them and others wish they hadn't lived there. Its sometimes very much international students that stay there,but I know 3 British first years that stay there. They enjoy it but says its a bit far out and for the price they wished they'd used campus accomodation, and for 2nd year they are moving in student private housing by the uni. Most first years stay on campus unless they couldn't get accommodation (applied late, clearing etc), it seems Student Roost is usually the back up plan rather than first choice, in my department anyway.

It's up to you and what you find important in accommodation - location, ensuite, modern/new, cost. If it suits you and you like it, go for it!

Okay, good to know, thank you :smile:

The majority of first years live in halls. From my experience private halls is for people who applied to uni late or are returning students who don’t want to go into private housing. There’s also a lot of international students in private halls. Private halls have the benefit of being in town but they can be awkward in terms of getting into uni with the buses.

Hey, i see that you are looking for accommodation and have mentioned Student Roost. Which alone is great to hear that our name has kept coming up.
Here at Student Roost St Davids (Swansea) we have a lot to offer and we pride ourselves at doing whatever we can to help our tenants and make it the best stay possible, as after all this will be your home.
Have you checked out our website and social media yet ? If so that is great stuff, but if not no worries let me fill you in with a few details you may be interested in.
So firstly cost, our rooms start from £125 a week. Every room has an en-suite and if you choose for the £125 offer you would have a shared spacious kitchen/ living area between around 5 other. If you decided to go for one of our studios then you would have your kitchen and living space all to yourself in one area.
On site we have a gym, games room, cinema/ reading area, quiet study area, outside seating and games, launderette and also in September we will have our new block opening which you can also stay in. We also have staff of site 24/7 so no matter what the time, no matter what the need we will always be here to help you. All this including bills is all in the cost!

And as for company you will never be alone or bored at our accommodation (you're potentially new home) as we will have almost 1000 students living on site and we always run different events from quizzes to play station tournaments to pool tournaments to cinema nights to even occasionally having a private party with a DJ and food stations.

If you have any questions what so ever please do not hesitate to get in contact, our telephone is 01792341640 and email is [email protected].

We can even arrange for a virtual walk around our site due to the current situation.

I hope all this help you and we look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon,

Student Roost St Davids Team :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest