The Student Room Group

Why is there so much snobbery from netflix users?

I just have conventional TV. Have no desire to get netflix. Why the snobbery regarding conventional TV? Am I a luddite??
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I just have conventional TV. Have no desire to get netflix. Why the snobbery regarding conventional TV? Am I a luddite??

What's your reaction when you hear that someone doesn't have a TV at all, and just listens to the radio? Does it strike you as 'odd' at all? Do you feel that they're 'missing out'?

That's what people who use streaming services (Netflix, Prime, Apple+, Disney+, etc.) all the time think of people who only watch "conventional TV".
Reply 2

It's not snobbery. People just want to watch decent TV series and films. Plus some people have lives and may prefer to watch the stuff they like when they like i.e. on demand.
This feels like an invented issue.
Reply 4
youre missing out, you need to get it and watch dark
Reply 5
Mate you're older than me and this is seriously something you worry about? Come on.
Reply 6
Ironically, with the upper class and parts of the middle class it can be the other way around. Not having a TV at all can be seen as a great sign of culture as it means you (may) devote your leisure time to reading, crafts, and attending the theatre instead. Of course, BBC 2 was designed to cater for this demographic but it's not necessarily what it once was. As for having anything American for TV viewing, aside from perhaps 1940s Hollywood or old school Frasier, that would hold no great cachet with the 'cultured'.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by gjd800
Mate you're older than me and this is seriously something you worry about? Come on.

I was just curious. If I was worried I'd get Netflix.
It is okay to refuse Netflix. I am not so fond of streaming too.
Reply 9

Snobbery among Netflix users may stem from various factors. Exclusive content, diverse genres, and accessibility can foster a sense of superiority. Additionally, personal viewing preferences contribute to differing opinions and attitudes.

Quick Reply

Latest